Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Programme Officer, Aquaculture
Reports to (Job Title): Livelihood program coordinator
- The Programme Officer Aquaculture will lead and support the Implementation of Aquaculture activities and monitoring of the WFP Livelihood project in Borno State.
- The Aquaculture component of the WFP livelihood project is key to the project, as an income Generating activity that supports Livelihoods.
- The role holder will be responsible for building the capacity of the project team in Aquaculture, collaborate with other players in Aquaculture at LGA and State Level. The role will technically advise Christian Aid Nigeria in Aquaculture activities.
- Develops and supervises the implementation of the Fisheries component of the Livelihoods project, in the value chain including production, capture, and post-harvest processes and infrastructure, and ensures delivery of planned capacity development both directly and with project beneficiaries.
- Create the conditions favourable to the generation of knowledge and coordinate their sharing, innovations and best practices, and the transfer of skills among beneficiaries in aquaculture production.
- Leads and coordinates the development and implementation of the project Annual Work Plan and Budget for the fisheries project components.
- Liaises with relevant partners to increase fisheries beneficiaries’ access to the appropriate services and promote the development of sustainable aquaculture value chains which reduce risks and guarantee economic and social benefits for beneficiaries and actors in the value chain.
- Works with LGA-based project teams to model techniques and processes for community engagement under direct implementation.
- Under the supervision of the Programme Coordinator, Livelihood, the incumbent shall monitor and coordinate Christian Aid actions related to the development of sustainable, efficient, and well-governed aquaculture practices that increase the production of fish and aquaculture products while minimizing the use of scarce resources and creating an equitable sharing of risks and benefits between all Aquaculture beneficiaries in the project.
- The Program Officer Aquaculture must put in place strategies and work programs aimed at maximizing the positive effects of aquaculture on the economic, social, and environmental priorities of Borno State and North-East Nigeria, including food and nutritional security, and which are in line with Borno State 2020-2030 plans and objectives.
Applied skills / Knowledge and Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Aquaculture, Aquatic Sciences, Fisheries, Agriculture, Biology, and Animal Nutrition, or a related discipline or a closely related field of a recognized University.
- Extent and relevance of experience in providing scientific and technical support and advice to research and/or development projects in sustainable aquaculture,
- Demonstrated results-based management skills and ability to effectively support programs, budgets, and human resources in the context of changing priorities,
- Ability to mobilize resources for sustainable aquaculture development.
- Excellent training and facilitation skills with a wide variety of groups having diverse experiences, backgrounds, skills, and education levels.
- Experience working on fishery value chain actors and their service providers such as fingerlings suppliers, feed suppliers, and suppliers of fish feed raw materials.
- Involvement in relevant value chain projects, and/or those involving vulnerable people, especially those with asset/cash transfer components.
- Experience in engaging directly with vulnerable people, facilitating women activities, and vulnerable people’s participation in meetings, discussions, etc.
- Involvement in projects and/or initiatives that address issues of power, diversity, exclusion, participation, and gender.
- Ability to multi-task, engage in long-term planning, meet deadlines, and handles last-minute demands; exercise patience, and adapt to changing circumstances.
N8,114,408 / Year (full time)
Application Closing Date
24th March, 2021.
13th April, 2021.