Medecins Sans Frontières is a private, not-for-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in distress, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Paediatrician
Contract: 208 working hours per month and flexibility is required
- MSF has been active in Katsina since February 2021 after carrying an exploratory mission that end up with an opening of the project under the Emergency-Cell.
- Currently, MSF is running an ITFC (Inpatient Therapeutic Feeding Centre) in Katsina in the Kofar Sauri PHCC and 5 ATFC (Ambulatory Therapeutic Feeding Centre) including four in Jibia LGA (Magama, Daddara, Gubi Magaria and Riko) and one in Katsina City (Kofar Marusa).
- Provide paediatric care in the hospital or outpatient setting, complying with the most appropriate and up-to-date practices as well as MSF universal hygiene protocols, values â€‹â€‹and standards, with the aim of improving the health of and young children .
- Apply their knowledge and medical skills to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of children and newborns and ensure integrated management of pediatric care in emergency departments, outpatient departments, hospital departments for newborns and cases of malnutrition. Prescribe the necessary treatments, in accordance with MSF protocols.
- Work in close collaboration with the various departments of the hospital/project (eg ATFC, Laboratory). Know, apply, and enforce the latest MSF medical protocols and universal hygiene standards with a view to reducing biological risks and improving infection control
- As an expert in pediatrics, propose the strategy (modification of the current management of care for newborns and children) and implement it after validation by the Operation and Pediatrics Advisor.
- Ensure ongoing training (theoretical and practical) of the multidisciplinary medical / paramedical team in order to optimize the quality of care given to newborns and children. Review and discuss selections of difficult cases or mistakes made with technical input
- Regularly inform patients and their families about the disease and the treatment to be followed and check that the explanations have been understood. Ensure respect for the patient's autonomy and the confidentiality of information; at the patient's bedside adopt the appropriate attitude towards the patient, caregivers and the rest of the medical team.
- Monitor the progress of patients hospitalized internally: daily visits, consultations and examinations, prescription of the necessary treatments in accordance with MSF protocols ; in collaboration with the other doctors, decide whether they can leave the hospital or be transferred to another department and inform the family of the evolution of the patient's condition.
- Check the proper functioning of the service, equipment and materials and list the missing items for the care of newborns and children. Contribute to the general organization of the pediatric service, which includes admission, transfer and discharge criteria + referral procedure for complicated pediatric cases.
- Check and then control the rational distribution of drugs and equipment placed under his responsibility and focus on the quality, disinfection and sterilization of medical equipment. Ensure compliance by all with the hygiene standards in force.
- Participate in the creation / improvement of the collection and analysis of epidemiological data on newborns and children and verify its validity; inform their direct superior or the project coordinator of any problem or complication with a patient or concerning medical errors. Gather clinical cases for upcoming training sessions and provide feedback to improve MSF protocols.
- Support MAM (cover during absence) in managing the team under his direct responsibility in accordance with HR policies and procedures; supervise the work, organize and plan the rotation of shift teams and intervene directly in emergencies and on request if necessary.
- As needed, design and deliver team training sessions.
- Performing any other task, specific to his/her area of specialty, as defined in his/her job description and according to the line manager.
- Medical Degree from a recognized university
- Paediatrics specialty preferred.
- Desirable: A minimum of three (3) years of experience as a physician in a paediatric ward
- Essential: Experience in field epidemiology
- Fluency in English (Read, Speak and Write), Hausa and Fulani (Speak) required.
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, internet)
- Update of knowledge before each mission based on the latest MSF protocols concerning new-borns and children.
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Participles
- Stress Management.
According to MSF France salary grid.
Application Closing Date
21st July, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only successful applicants will be called for the next steps
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the MSF recruitment process.
- MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring a candidate having benefitted from any such acts. All illicit demands may be pursued through the judicial system.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages any Nigerian citizen to apply irrespective of race, gender, religion, creed, political affiliation.