We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Output Lead 1 – DFID PLANE
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job type: Full time
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Team Lead, the Output 1 Lead will provide technical leadership of materials development, trainings and continuous professional development of primary school teachers/Integrated Qur’anic School (IQS) Facilitators.
- H/She will provide expertise in instruction, assessment, research, coaching, training and materials development.
- Coordinate the assessment and revision of existing relevant material, review and the development and production of new instructional materials to improve pupils’ foundational skills, including but not limited to: effective teacher training modules, assessment, monitoring, supplementary materials, mentoring/coaching guide and Community of Practice Guide.
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of program activities for improved learning outcomes in schools.
- Model lessons that utilize best teaching practices and instruction in improving pupils’ foundational skills and learning outcomes.
- Coordinate and/or facilitate curriculum enrichment efforts.
- Assist in development and implementation of standards, indicators of success, and benchmarks.
- Reporting on Programme activities and best practices in reading instruction.
- May serve as a resource on administrative and operational issues.
- Work closely with State Team Leads, Community Mobilization and Gender Coordinator and other technical staff in the implementation of all teacher professional development workshops, Community of Practice meetings and training of trainers (ToT).
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and other technical staff.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with relevant government agencies and other partners.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Knowledge of reading & literacy programs in Nigeria.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding formative learning processes.
- Proficient writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain good working relationship with staff and other partners.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially in terms of reporting.
- Relevant computer software and internet skills (at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office and Excel).
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English and Hausa language.
- Ability to travel in Nigeria minimum of 50%.
- Advanced degree in Education with a concentration in early grade reading, literacy, language acquisition and non-formal education or related field.
- At least 5 to 7 years’ experience in education reform with a focus on primary education sector work in language acquisition and/or child literacy or reading especially in Hausa Language. certification as reading/literacy specialist preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with government, partners and/or local government structures and school settings
- Proven expertise in mother tongue (L1), early grade reading instruction and/or assessment and reading material development, preferably in Hausa Language.
- Significant experience in developing and producing of supplementary reading materials, workbooks, trainers’ and teachers’ guides and instructional materials to improve early grades reading
- Has ability to coordinate reading interventions, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities
- Strong leadership qualities and facilitation skills, experience in working with teachers to improve practice
- Demonstrable knowledge of research-based best practices in content-area reading skills and strategies and literacy instruction
- Experience/preparation in modeling teaching, observing teachers, and providing non-judgmental feedback.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.