Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operational Research Epidemiologist
Employment Type: Full-time
Project: NOMA Project
Main Objective and Responsibility
Implementing and supervising the epidemiological research in the mission according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to contribute to mitigating the effects of diseases where MSF is present.
- Where relevant, participating in defining the objectives of operational research, developing research protocols and methodology including patient inclusion criteria and data management processes, and identifying the human resources needed to conduct the research in order to obtain relevant information for the medical intervention. Where relevant, ensuring compliance with MSF laboratory protocols (secure manipulation of samples, shipment of samples etc.)
- Coordinating the execution of the research with partners ensuring compliance to MSF protocols.
- Providing training to and supervising the team that will participate in performing the research.
- Ensuring patients included in any research have freely given their consent to participate and have received the correct information in a format they can comprehend
- Reviewing data collection and undertaking analysis as appropriate, reporting on a regular basis to the functional referent about study progress and any relevant information for the mission/project. Writes a clear research report documenting the full methods and results and draws appropriate conclusions supported by the results. Where appropriate, participating in writing scientific papers.
- Managing data systems and ensuring accurate, high quality databases
- Ensuring dissemination of findings to the community as described in the study protocol
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Study conceptualisation, protocol development, ERB:
- Formulate study ideas, present to Noma working group (Nigeria and HQ staff) and finalise future study ideas.
- Develop concept note, incorporate feedback from all co-authors. Submit concept note to research committee, make changes based on feedback and finalise, send to all co-authors.
- Develop protocol based on approved concept note. Discuss with all relevant experts (NTD, nutrition, surgical and epi advisors etc.). Develop study tools and all other protocol appendices.
- Submit protocol to research committee, make changes based on feedback and finalise, send to all co-authors.
- Ensure submission of protocols to MSF and Nigerian ERBs. Ensure all ERB documents are compiled and submitted, this includes ensuring all co-authors have relevant research ethics training certificates. Guide studies through the ERB process and make all relevant changes. Once protocol has received all ERB approvals, finalise and submit final copy to all ERBs and co-authors.
- Follow protocol as approved by all ERBs.
- Complete all necessary study preparation prior to the commencement of data collection.
- Assist in hiring study teams where necessary.
- Plan and design trainings for research teams. Conduct trainings with data entry supervisor for teams with help from necessary experts (e.g. medical team at NCH).
- Lead data collection teams for the duration of the data collection period. This can involve extensive travel, working long hours in difficult conditions.
- Coordinate with logistics department and PC to plan all team movements. This can include writing FTRs.
- Ensure teams have all necessary supplies (including cars, drivers, water, data collection tablets, communication devices, weighing scales, height boards, pens, ink pads etc.)
- Assist with HR management and ensuring teams follow MSF HR and security policies.
- Ensures systematic data quality checks in collaboration with data entry supervisor
- Provides monthly updates and progress reports in relation to ongoing activities including researches in the project(s).
- Participate in project annual reporting and during the Noma activities including conferences
Analysis and Write-Up:
- Conduct analysis on study data using statistical package of your choice (preferably R).
- Write up internal report including interpretation of all findings.
- Where applicable, draft manuscript of findings, submit to journal and guide through publication process.
Masters in Epidemiology or Public Health with extensive training in statistics and epidemiology.
- Experience in field epidemiology.
- Desirable field experience with MSF or other NGOs, research experience is a plus.
English is essential, local language desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel).
- Essential knowledge of R, EpiInfo, SPSS or analytical package.
- Results and Quality Orientation L2
- Teamwork and Cooperation L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Stress Management L3
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Only applications submitted ONLINE will be accepted.
- Lastly, only ONE online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organisation