Olam International is a leading food and agri-business supplying food, ingredients, feed and fibre to over 19,800 customers worldwide. Our value chain spans over 60 countries and includes farming, processing and distribution operations, as well as a sourcing network of 4.8 million farmers. Through our purpose to 'Re-imagine Global Agriculture and Food Systems', Olam aims to address the many challenges involved in meeting the needs of a growing global population, while achieving positive impact for farming communities, our planet and all our stakeholders. Headquartered and listed in Singapore, Olam currently ranks among the top 30 largest primary listed companies in terms of market capitalisation on SGX-ST.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition and Health Lead
Function: Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Sub-Function: Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Reports to: Head of Livelihoods and Social Capital
- The Nutrition & Health Manager is a key member of the Livelihoods and Social Capital unit. This unit is organized into two strategic workstreams, namely ‘fostering inclusive livelihoods’ and ‘nourishing and feeding the world’.
- The unit’s roles are to: (1) develop strategies, approaches and tools that catalyse and support business action toward the achievement of social and economic sustainability goals; (2) identify needs and sustainability risk across the supply chains; (3) monitor, evaluate and report for impact; and (4) facilitate and contribute to internal & external learning, sharing, aligning and influencing.
- The unit works with internal Business Units (BUs) to identify sustainability risks and opportunities, and to design and implement strategies, policies, and programmes.
- It also promotes alignment and learning across BUs, builds external partnerships and participates in global sector platforms.
Nutrition & Health Expertise:
- Nutrition & Health Expertise: Serve as the leader and “go to” expert for food security, nutrition, and health; identify new business opportunities to drive action for these topics; manage and participate in related research projects; monitor emerging trends and risks; and develop and contribute to internal and external communications, such as regular presentations and the corporate Annual Report
- Workstream Strategy Development/Implementation: Refine the company’s approach to the ‘Feeding & Nourishing the World’ workstream by devising coherent, effective approaches and by creating the internal and external alliances, guidance material and tools required to implement it, including:
- Monitoring and evaluation tools and guidance
- Relevant training for field staff and for smallholder farmers and communities
- Workforce nutrition scorecards
- Cost-benefit analysis tool of workplace health interventions
- WASH standards in all of Olam’s direct operations
- Flagship programmes: Spearhead and direct annual programmes for farmer food security and workforce health/nutrition, managing a budget of some USD 100,000 and advancing the number of activities that have outcome-level impact
- Partnership building: Represent Olam in relevant multi-stakeholder platforms, such as the nutrition-related groups of the WBCSD, and steward existing partnerships (e.g. GAIN, the END Fund) and create new ones to accelerate the achievement of Olam’s goals and to contribute sector-level transformation
- Capacity building: Develop expertise and capabilities within BUs, coach field staff for high performance and prepare learning material (e.g., case studies, trainings) to help others learn.
- Livelihoods and Social Capital team: Contribute to the broader thought leadership on farmer livelihoods and social capital, to the creation and updating of Olam’s sustainability policies and tools, and to designing and establishing other Livelihoods and Social Capital initiatives or innovations (including digital tools) that impact on or are impacted by food security, nutrition, and health (i.e., reducing living income gap strategies, women’s empowerment and gender equality initiatives, etc.)
- The Nutrition and Health Manager is responsible for the roles, as outlined above, related to food security, nutrition, and health. These topics are the main priorities of the ‘nourishing and feeding the world’ workstream and are directly aligned to the ambition of a food-secure future as enshrined in the corporate purpose.
- This role will create approaches and tools as well as provide guidance, coordination and occasionally programme management across multiple pathways (i.e. workforce health & nutrition, nutrition-sensitive livelihoods, farmer food security, food fortification, etc.) that aim to improve food security, nutrition and health for farmers, communities and employees.
- As the internal subject matter expert, this role engages, educates and influences internal and external stakeholders, as necessary. This role inspires others and builds the related capabilities within the company that are needed to realize related goals. It is also responsible for related partnerships, research, innovation, internal learning/knowledge exchange.
- University Degree in Public Health, International Development, Food Science, Anthropology or other relevant domains
- 3-6 years of relevant professional experience
- Outstanding teamwork and interpersonal skills, with a proactive, solution-oriented and innovative mindset
- Strong sense of ownership at work and self-motivation
- Ability to think critically to devise new approaches and to design and effectively manage programmes.
- Ability to analyse large datasets and derive evidence-based insights and recommendations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- On-the-ground experience and a good understanding of agri-business models and success factors are highly desirable
- Willingness to travel to remote operational areas and adaptable to challenging circumstances
- French, Spanish, or other languages is desired
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Olam is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, nationality, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Applicants are requested to complete all required steps in the application process including providing a resume/CV in order to be considered for open roles.