The Nigerian Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is the Implementing Agency of the Federal Government of Nigeria tasked with electrification of rural and unserved communities. Our mission is to provide access to reliable electric power supply for rural dwellers irrespective of where they live and what they do, in a way that would allow for reasonable return on investment through appropriate tariff that is economically responsive and supportive of the average rural customer.
Applications are invited for the position of:
Job Title: Researcher
Locations: Six Geopolitical Zones in Nigeria
The REA Board has approved funds for the implementation of the REF call 2 grant awards which includes the REF (Rural Electrification Fund) Research and Innovative Hub that would spur rural electrification. While the sole mission of the Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is to provide access to reliable electric power supply for rural dwellers in Nigeria, the REF Research and Innovative Hub aims at building an ecosystem of partnerships with impact funding to stimulate innovative solutions / technologies, towards improving agricultural productivity and other soda-economic infrastructure (Health, Water, Transport, Education, Communication, as well as prototype devices and solutions that will address Rural electrification challenges in rural communities of Nigeria).
As the agency strives to implement its mandate, it has become evident that research plays a pivotal role in the development of renewable energy solutions / technologies as well as in the electricity power supply value chain and based on this, the Agency wishes to inform the research community across the six geopolitical zones of Nigeria, and the general public, that research grants are available to support research that aligns with its mandate. Interested researchers are invited to participate in this Call-for Research (CfR) by submitting concept notes on any of the under listed thematic areas.
Thematic Areas for the REF Grant Application
The prioritized thematic areas of research are, as presented below, in four categories. Interested researchers are expected to write a concept note on any of these four categories. Applicants are strongly advised to keep to the provided thematic areas. However, submissions may be considered for other research topics that are pertinent to the agency's mandate and knowledge gaps hereunder:
Decentralized Renewable Energy Delivery Mechanisms, Management and Funding:
- Enhance access to Energy: Policy formulation, credit mechanism, market structure, regulatory reforms, institutional capacity development, consumer services enhancement, loss-reduction measures, efficiency improvement.
- How can donor agencies and governmental agencies improve the rural electrification programs in terms of financing, policy and procurement processes?
Business Models and Sustainability:
- Provision of credit financing for rural communities for acquisition and subscription of various modes of electrification.
- How would the provision of access to financing through integrated PAYG technologies and any other means impact appliance acceptance rates and subsequent electricity consumption?
- How do electricity consumers respond to changes in prices and other policies?
- Strengthening last-mile connectivity and address challenges in rural areas and complex geographies: A study on adopting the Integrated Distribution Framework (IDF) in Nigeria.
- Promoting innovative/disruptive technologies across the value chain, including the local design and manufacturing of efficient and affordable renewable energy technologies.
- Improving access to electricity to security challenged areas: A case study of the North-Eastern part of Nigeria,
- Development of Biocatalyst for Optimum Biomass Energy Production.
- Prospects of partnership approach for rural electrification in Nigeria
- Comparing rural electrification technologies in Nigeria
- Financing off-grid electrification for rural development: Case study of rural electrification fund
- Adopting flexible business models that leverage on key enabling regulations to improve electricity supply from renewables in Nigeria.
Metering and Remote Monitoring:
- Assessment of meters suitable for off-grid projects in Nigeria
- Scalable and characterization methods and tools for remote monitoring of Off grid technologies.
- Economic impact valuation of rural electrification projects in Nigeria.
- What are the mechanisms through which electrification impacts household, firms and public facilities?
- Gender, Equity and Social Inclusion prospects in the off-grid sector in Nigeria
- Adoption of photovoltaic technologies in Nigeria: A study of issues, problems and solutions.
- How provision of Clean Energy Mini-grid mitigates rural-urban migration and contribute to socio-economic activities in rural areas? Is the provision of off- grid solutions mitigating this factor?
- Students (Postgraduate, Master's and PhD) and Lecturers in any of the Public Universities, Polytechnics, and Colleges of Education across the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria are eligible.
- Multi-Disciplinary and Interdisciplinary research projects, comprising researchers from various disciplines, are highly encouraged.
- However, additional members of the research team can be drawn from researchers in private tertiary institutions, research institutes, Centers of Excellence and the industry. This is consistent with the global best practice of involving non-governmental organizations and other non-state actors in research projects that are to address national needs.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are expected to submit a Concept Note which should be downloaded, filled and uploaded to the REA website.
- The Principal Investigator (PI) is expected to submit a Concept note. All the submitted Concept Notes will be evaluated by the REA Research and Monitoring Committee. The PI's of the successful Concept Notes will be communicated to proceed to the preparation of the Full Proposals which will also be processed online.
- The PI and, at least a member of the Research Team of an adjudged fundable proposal shall be invited to defend their proposal before the REA Research and Monitoring Committee.
- Thereafter, the successful proposals for grant awards will be selected and presented to the REA Board for approval.
- This advertisement is published only for information purposes and does not constitute an offer, commitment or obligation by REA to transact with any party nor entitle any researcher to make any claims, whatsoever, or seek any indemnity from the Agency.
- The applicant shall bear all costs and expenses incurred in connection with the preparation of Documents or submission made in response to this invitation or in response to any inquiry or clarification arising from this exercise.
- For more info, kindly contact: [email protected], or visit the Rural Electrification Fund Directorate at the Rural Electrification Agency at 22 Freetown Street, Wuse II, Abuja.
All enquiries and request for clarification regarding this publication may be directed to:
Executive Director, Rural Electrification Fund,
Rural Electrification Agency,
22 Freetown Street, Wuse 2, Abuja
Application Deadline 28th May, 2021.