- Company: World Health Organization (WHO)
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Abuja Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Nigeria
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Consultant to Support Measles SIAs Application
Job ID: 2206761
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Grade: No grade
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 2 months
- The World Health Organization (WHO) Nigeria continues to provide technical and programme management support to the Government of Nigeria to achieve Accelerated Disease Control targets and strengthening routine immunization (RI) programme.
- After a successful completion of the nationwide 2017/18 measles follow up campaign, the country drew a measles strategic plan for the period 2019-2028 which fit into the NSIPSS agenda, corresponding country comprehensive multi-year plan for immunisation.
- The strategy aims improving the measles herd immunity nationwide by the end of 2028 and achieving the measles elimination goal. Among the strategies identified, every two years, the northern states will implement a follow up SIA while the southern will implement every three years.
- The measles strategic plan intended to implement a MR catch-up campaign in 2023 which has been put on hold due to the country immunisation workload. Based on that, the CWG and the country steering committee agree to apply to Gavi for follow-up campaign in 13 States covered in 2021, and for a 2023 measles SIA.
Purpose of the Consultancy
- In conjunction with the Vaccine Preventable (VPD) Team and other WHO Nigeria based staff, the Consultant will take the lead in developing: a) developing the agenda during the proposal writing workshop, b) compelling, evidence-based group work notes in accordance with Request for funding/Proposal guidelines for submission to Gavi.
- The consultant will bring to the programme previous experience from developing and writing successful Gavi and other donors proposals involving Ministry of Health (MoH) and/or the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), partners and several stakeholders. It is desirable that they consultant also brings a good understanding of issues relating to immunization, VPDs surveillance, and gender equity.
Specific Tasks to be performed by the Consultant
- Based on the primary and secondary information gathered, and in accordance with Gavi proposal requirement, firstly a) support the drafting of the proposal including chronogram of activities and annexes, and secondly b) support the review of the budget.
- Meet with government authorities, such as NPHCDA, Ministry of Health, and other stakeholders to collect feedback on planned activities
Outcomes of the Consultancy – Deliverables
- A completed, comprehensive proposal that is based on the primary and secondary data findings/analysis. This should be developed with involvement of WHO AFRO, WCO Nigeria staff members and other partners/stakeholders as identified during the consultancy.
- Final drafts of all proposal-related documents as per identified donor requirements (including but not limited to chronogram of activities, full proposal and annexes, and budget).
Lines of Communication:
- Under the general coordination of the WHO Country Representative and Deputy Representative and the Cluster Leads, the consultant will report to the VPD Team Leader in WHO Nigeria and will work closely with representatives of NPHCDA and other partners.
Proposed starting time:
- From the 1st of August to 1st of September 2022.
- This timeline and exact number of working days is subject to change depending on the NPHCDA call for support for proposal writing.
Qualifications and Experience
- Essential: University Degree in Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing or other related Public Health fields from an accredited institution
- Desirable: Master’s degree in public health, preferably in Epidemiology or other related public health fields from an accredited institution.
- Essential: At least 5 years’ experience in EPI activities, or similar roles in an organization concerned with public health management.
- Desirable: Prior working experience with international nongovernmental organization (INGOs), WHO/UN, health clusters partners, recognized humanitarian organizations.
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Advanced level spoken and written English language.
N2,112,039.00 / Month
Application Closing Date
22nd July 2022; 10:59:00 PM.