The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Officer - Governance
Requisition ID: req23270
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
- The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, supporting victims of natural disaster, oppression, and violent conflict in over 40 countries to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe States.
- The IRC’s response includes integrated health and nutrition services, reproductive health care and women protection services, Environmental Health, Child Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education, General Protection, and Governance. IRC’s programming in Northeast Nigeria is supported by a team of more than 700 staff.
- Together, we aim to provide the best possible impact for some of the most vulnerable children, women, and men. In all that we do, IRC strives to deliver through IRC’s core values of Integrity, Accountability, Service and Equality.
Job Overview / Summary
- The purpose of the M&E Officer position is to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement.
- S/he will also conduct research, or coordinate with consultants conducting research, to engage in reflective practice and generate lessons from projects/program.
- S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better data management systems, including preparing an M&E plan for the sector, and coordinates the proper and timely evaluation of project objectives/impact.
- S/he will ensure the existence of accountability mechanisms and devise a strategy for program staff participation in M&E activities.
- The position holder will closely work with front line staff and volunteers. S/he also will work closely with the M&E unit on technical matters and reports to the M&E Manager and will have dotted line report to the Senior RH manager.
Program Design and Learning:
- Participate in program/ project design specially in developing logframes;
- Design, develop and continuously update project M&E, and impact measurement tools and systems on timely fashion;
- Develop and make sure all the projects have tested monitoring tools that capture both program activity and indicators progresses;
- Organize periodical ongoing sector level review, reflective practice, evaluation and progress monitoring events by involving communities and local partners;
- Organize panel monitoring and/or similar M&E events to ensure accountability to the target community, with relevant stakeholders including communities and ensure their dissemination to concerned parties;
- With support from the M&E Manager and Sr. Urban Resilience Manager, establish and maintain project level information management system;
- Design a strategy to collect filed level information required by IRC, donors and/or stakeholders;
- Coordinate synergy and cross-learning among different projects;
- Cross fertilize learning among projects by regularly producing (compiling) summary monitoring reports and sharing to staff and partners.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Track progress against monitoring work plans;
- Coordinate the field level community participatory monitoring and evaluation, reflective practice and impact measurement;
- Ensues the on time execution of projects major monitoring and evaluation events including but not limited to baseline survey, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, data quality audit and field supervision;
- Coordinate with consultants conducting project evaluations to monitor for high quality and high impact results.
- Provide technical assistance to staff and partner organization on information management system, proper data collection and record keeping, including on beneficiary registration;
- Update M&E plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Assist with monthly and/or quarterly performance indicator analysis, including generation of reports as well as presentations for staff related to on-going performance;
- Conduct regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data;
- Verify entered data for completeness, correctness, and consistency and follow up on any data quality issues;
- Document findings from data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access;
- Actively participate in and contribute to M&E team activities, system assessments, development and implementation of new systems and/or tools aimed at strengthening overall M&E practices at IRC Nigeria;
- Take part in the recruitment of enumerators and survey consultants;
- Provide M&E inputs for reports written during project implementation;
- Periodically leads reflective practice forums at field office/ project level and compile lessons from project implementation processes.
Information Management and Reporting:
- Establish and maintain project information management system;
- Submit data set to update country office wide program database on monthly basis;
- Compile regular project monitoring report, including lessons learned, prepared by different projects and application of evaluation recommendations;
- Ensure all projects have downward/ forward accountability mechanisms and works with project staff to make sure its implementation;
- Compile quarter, biannual and annual tabular and narrative reports (as required by project stakeholders) on projects’ accomplishments by cost and alert the management for special deviations form the plan.
- And all other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Sr. Urban Resilience Manager, based in Maiduguri
- Position directly supervises: n/a
- Indirect Reporting: M&E Manager, based in Maiduguri
- Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: M&E Staff, Governance Managers/Officers/Assistants
- External: Service provider, Traditional and Community Leaders, Local Government Authorities, Government Ministries/Agencies, Community Volunteers
- Degree in Statistics, Computer Science / IT / Public Health or any other related field;
- Mandatory previous experience working on urban resilience programming in Maiduguri, and at least two year experience working in monitoring and evaluation;
- Excellent computer skills are required (particularly Advanced Microsoft Excel, Access and Word);
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required;
- Ability to work independently, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems;
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively;
- Familiarity with log frame analysis and M&E plan;
- Experience in conducting assessment;
- Desirable – Reproductive health background and Working with highly vulnerable and displaced people would be added advantage;
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Hausa is required. Additional fluency in Kanuri is preferred.
- Most importantly, commitment to IRC values and principles;
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: