We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: SPC-MEAL
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours: 35
Contract Length: 4 months
- The role holder will support Christian Aid’s response to the humanitarian crisis in Nigeria with special focuses on monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning sector interventions
- She/he will support Christian Aid’s funded programmes which are implemented by Christian Aid and it partners in Borno and other northeast states
- The role holder will assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of Christian Aid’s MEAL & Humanitarian Response, providing effective and timely support (including capacity building) to liberated communities and partner organizations, enabling them to implement the rapid, effective and principled MEAL response to emergencies, and ensuring that this is in line with Christian Aid’s country strategy and Humanitarian Standards
- The role holder will be representing CAID in sector working groups meetings/activities and engage in the right networks, while increasing the profile of CA Humanitarian and resilience work and its visibility in the region.
- The role is in the MEAL program family. The role is key in developing, and implementing programs strategy across a country program, region and division
- The role is also key in developing and implementing programme strategy across a country, region or division.
- Project proposals prepared which are based on strong planning, monitoring and evaluation procedures and financial policies and procedures complied with including reporting requirements.
- MEAL strategic principled readily available cutting across all Christian Aid programs.
- Decisions on supporting projects informed by Christian Aid’s strategy and strategic focus areas and strong program of institutional support and strengthening for Partners in place.
- Strong linkages between partner work & MEAL within the UK and Ireland, developed through positive relations.
- Clear and timely policy positions developed for standing and emergency issues and humanitarian strategy developed for the region or continent which reflects country priorities.
- Strong synergy between regional or continental strategy and Corporate MEAL Priorities developed and strong development of relationships with partners, ecumenical networks, sector clusters, and policy makers in the program region, continent and globally.
- Partner and beneficiary engagement successfully led.
- External Build strong relationships with partners, networks, donors, stakeholders and community beneficiaries.
- Internal Build strong relationship with program departments, MEAL officers, program managers, M&E units and all in-country and global staff.
- Make decisions in order to manage direct reports effectively. Also providing technical input to MEAL team
- Day to day decision to ensure partner portfolio/CA projects are running effectively and higher levels decisions on supporting the projects informed by Christian Aid's strategy and strategic focus areas
- Contributes to project proposals, ensuring they are prepared and comply with reporting requirement
- Contribute to shaping and implementing MEAL strategy, making sound decisions to support this.
- Works on complex specialist/ technical issues. Problems and issue, risks and benefits may have implications across a number of departments.
- Required to develop new ways of doing things to better meet program goals requiring substantial creative or analytical ability.
- Has direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating a team or teams of colleagues/project team members
- Focus will be on advising and guiding senior management on policy issues/high level procedures and direct line management responsibility may be limited.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- The post holder should have a First Degree in Social Sciences or B.Sc in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Engineering with 3-5 year experience of working in humanitarian response with local and/international partner organizations.
- Strong positive attitude and ability to manage a wide range of issues of complicated procedures, indicated by 4-5 years learning period.
- She/he should have at least a 3 years humanitarian response experience in MEAL programming.
- Familiar with MEAL context in the Northeast Nigeria.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Hausa and English language.
LEVEL 2: You are expected to be able to:
- Supportively manage teams or lead on projects, involving others in discussing how to take work forwards, helping people feel part of the team and treating everyone equally.
- Influence others to develop shared understanding and work cooperatively and collaboratively towards common goals where there are different personal or organizational agendas.
- Develop and maintain new relationships with individuals and organizations to further Christian Aid’s aims.
- Recognize and value differences in people; be ready to challenge assumptions, beliefs or attitudes in self or others.
- Manage expectations and adhere to what’s agreed, by doing what you say you’re going to do.
- Reflect the needs of different audiences, adapting style, media, timing and pace to communicate most effectively.
- Show an understanding of how personal and external factors impact on others’ communication style and needs and seek to manage these differences to ensure that all voices are heard.
- Clarify expectations and anticipate interests and potential issues of others, in order to help them get involved in debate and dialogue.
- Steward Resources:
- Accept accountability internally and externally for the effective use of Christian Aid resources.
- Look for ways to achieve more effective outcomes by using existing resources in a new or different way, before using or commissioning new resources.
- Ensure results of self and others are achieved to quality and time by managing allocated resources and workloads.
- Create plans with key milestones and measurable outcomes: track progress and adjust to meet the objectives, ensuring others are aware of changes and reasons for them.
- Ensure individuals/ teams understand and agree to work to the overall goals, specific objectives and quality standards.
- Make recommendations or decisions in the best interest of Christian Aid, involving others as needed whether in and beyond own work area.
- Be willing to take action or make recommendations or decisions in difficult or ambiguous situations.
- Commit to your decisions and be accountable for them.
- Show willingness to adapt if your initial decision did not produce the expected result.
- Demonstrate continuing commitment to your own professional and personal development.
- Utilize coaching and mentoring skills in order to support others to develop.
- Encourage others to give their best by discussing goals and aspirations and recognize achievement.
- Provide an appropriate level of supervision according to need; know when to provide help and when to give others enough space to learn.
- Give constructive and timely feedback to others on difficult or contentious issues.
- Deal with poor performance directly and sensitively, seeking appropriate and timely advice and support if needed.
- Be open to radical suggestions to avoid closing down options too early.
- Evaluate benefits and risks of new ways of working or ideas and identify ways to reduce risk.
- Find and implement ways to better support internal knowledge and information sharing.
- Coach others on dealing with resistance to change.
- Seek and evaluate a range of viewpoints, whether internal or external, about how Christian Aid could do things better, regardless of whose ideas they are and what role they have.
N8,501,197 per annum
Application Closing Date
22nd April, 2019.
9th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility
- This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role; the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
- You will be expected to abide by the Code of Conduct, policies and procedures within Christian Aid which may be updated from time to time
- You must be in sympathy with the aims, beliefs and values of Christian Aid as it seeks to work on relief, development and advocacy for poverty eradication.