Migration Health Intern at International Organization for Migration
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Migration Health Intern
SVN No.: CFCV2021.76
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
IOM Classification: Intern
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC)
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Project manager in Migration Health Unit, the successful candidate will assist with, and be responsible for a variety of tasks encompassing the field of migration health, and provide direct support for the implementation of the vaccination activities in IOM supported health facilities in Nigeria. In particular, she/he will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist with the preparation and background research for presentations, meetings, and requests for inputs from Migration health department
- Assist in developing and updating information sheets on the overview of the migration health programme in the country
- Become familiar on main issues in the field of migration health more broadly.
- Acquire knowledge of the scope and objectives pursued by the IOM supported vaccination project and can contribute to the achievements of the project.
- Obtain experience in project implementation in a multi-stakeholder setting.
- Become acquainted with the policies of IOM as an international organization, its multicultural environment, and its functioning, especially in the field of migration health.
- Compile and update shared information about Migration Health activities and programmes
- Provide general administrative and clerical support to the Migration Health Unit
- Assist in administrative tasks including scheduling, travel arrangements and coordination with partners
- Assist in the planning and organization of meetings, conferences, seminars, and workshops when needed
- Internship training components / learning elements:
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Sciences, Public / Global / International Health, or related field.
Experience & Skills:
- Knowledge or experience in research, with a focus on medicine/public health would be an asset. Demonstrated ability to write clear and concise reports is desirable.
- Ability to work effectively both on his/her own and within a team of varied cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Experience in MS Package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- Willing to accept flexible work schedule.
- Fluency in English is required (Oral and Written).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Important Information and Notice
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to "Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)" and with a subject line "CFCV2021.76. Abuja. Migration Health Intern".
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV)
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline Wednesday, 13th October, 2021.