The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Medical Doctor (Senior Health Officer)
Requisition ID: req23609
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The Senior Health Officer (Medical Doctor) is the clinical supervisor for all IRC's health care programs in Yobe state.
- The focus of our health programs is to provide integrated primary health services including comprehensive RH.
- S/he reports to the Health Manager and also works closely with the operations team for day to day administrative issues.
- The Senior Health Officer reports to the Health Manager and is responsible for the quality of Primary health and reproductive health services in the health facilities and communities of intervention.
- S/he will provide mentorship, and build the capacity of the clinical team (midwife, community health workers and clinic support staff) and ensure the quality of care across IRC supported facilities (85%) of his/her time.
- S/he will also support project management, procurement, and supplies (15%) of his/her time.
Service delivery and quality of care management:
- The Senior Health officer shall be responsible for the supervision and day-to-day management of health activities the MOH supported health facilities across 3 (Damaturu, Gujba and Gulani) LGAs of Yobe state,
- Support the MOH healthcare workers to apply medical knowledge and skills to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment according to national guidelines and protocols, and ensure patient follow-up as needed.
- The Medical Doctor will valid the need for referral to secondary care and prepare the patient for referral including referral notes, pre-referral treatment.
- S/he will provide on-the-job support to the facility staff, including training and skills development as needed.
- Ensure adherence to infection prevention and control within and around the facilities
- Together with the Health officers and the community Mobilization Officer, recruit, train and supervise community volunteers including community health influencers, promoters, and service programs (CHIPS) for community sensitization, and integrated community case management (ICCM).
- Coordinate with State Primary Health Development Board, Local government authorities, and other actors in the area and maintain good relations with them,
- In coordination with the Health Manager, identify opportunities to strengthen the health program
- S/he will oversee the stock management of medicines, medical supplies, and medical equipment and support the Health facilities staff to prepare timely requisitions for replenishment based on consumption records.
- S/he will collect weekly morbidity reports, and monitor disease trends in order to advise the health manager to preposition adequate supplies as may be required.
- Participate in outbreak response and control coordination when applicable and carry out community-based public health interventions during communicable disease outbreaks.
- Participate in and support midwives, community mobilizers and community volunteers in activities that aim to increase women’s RH awareness and service utilization.
- Seek out and nurture quality partnerships with community structures and support staff in coordination of activities with community volunteers.
- Monitor and supervise the IRC health staff under his/her supervision, and ensure that work is done properly and efficiently
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Develop ongoing education programs for health staff, and conduct training and on-the-job training for health staff.
- Review personnel issues and concerns of health staff and assist in determining and implementing solutions.
- Determine personnel needs for field-level activities, and in coordination with the Health Manager and Human, Resources Lead assist in the recruitment of staff.
- Recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of health staff to the Health Manager.
Grants Management & Reporting:
- Ensure project activities are implemented according to the work plan and within the allocated budgets.
- Prepare weekly work plans with the health teams.
- Provide recommendations and interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact budget adherence.
- Reporting writing
- Monitor closely the morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators to ensure that prompt actions are taken.
- Provide weekly activity reports to the Health Manager.
- Attend meetings concerning overall health program issues
- Supervise and regular review and revise training manuals to maintain consistency with the acceptable protocols.
- Responsible for validation of program data and timely submission to M&E on weekly basis (number/ gender/ age-segregated).
- Work with the M&E team to analyze data on a weekly/monthly basis, feeds information back to the program, and adapts strategies accordingly.
- Provide weekly/monthly activity reports to the supervisor.
- Supports the RH manager/M&E officer in monitoring and following up on specific RH indicators.
Coordination and Representation:
- Collaborate with other relevant sectors such as Reproductive Health, Women Protection & Empowerment, Child Protection and Environmental Health to ensure a holistic service package is available in response to the needs.
- Ensures teamwork and professional relationship between the different sectors and government agencies.
- Works closely and coordinate with IRC supply chain, finance, and grant staff to ensure activities are conducted within the timeframe and compliance of the grants.
- Undertake/participate in liaison, coordination, and information sharing activities with national NGOs, international organizations, MoH, donors and community stakeholders.
- Maintain effective relations with the Ministry of Health and it MDAs
- Represent IRC during site visits of external guests and IRC HQ visitors.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Health Manager
- Position directly supervises: Health officer, Health assistant, Nurse /midwives,
- Indirect Reporting: Senior Health Manager, Roving RH manager.
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: All other IRC sectors offer integrated services at all intervention areas. Health Coordinator, Research and Innovation Manager, SPC, Deputy Director Program, Finance Manager, Supply chain Manager, Senior Area Manager, DDFM
External: SPHCDA, UNFPA, WHO, HMB, Federal Ministry of Health, other INGOs.
Degree in Medicine and Surgery from a recognized institution, with strong public health background, Master’s in public health is an Asset.
- Minimum of 2 years post-internship experience in clinical medicine and public health.
- Experience in supervising health staff at the primary health care level.
- Experience working in a challenging operating environment.
- Have a sound understanding of the Nigerian Public health system landscape.
- Ability to work with displaced communities with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Able to work in locations with basic living conditions and with limited communication options.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated Skills and Competencies: Preferably trained in Basic (and Comprehensive) Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care.
English, working knowledge of Hausa (Mandatory), Fulani and Kanuri (Desired).
Certificates or Licenses:
Must be registered with Nigeria Medical Practitioners and Dental Council and allowed to practice in Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: