Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor (Pool)
MSF OCA, Zamfara Secondary Health Care Project
Employment Type: Part-time
Job Type: Medical Doctor’s Pool – Daily Workers with possibility of Contract work as needs arise
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Provide mainly inpatient medical care to paediatric patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF guidelines in nutrition, lead and pediatrics g, and following MSF values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions. Will also provide consultations in the outpatient staff clinic.
Description of the Responsibilities / Activities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills in diagnosis and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Provide quality health care to staff and their dependents registered in the staff clinic.
- Proceed to prompt referral of patients/staff from staff clinic for secondary health care when needed.
- Ensure absolute confidentiality of medical data and patients’ information.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness medical error or the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing internal training as necessary of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care, as well as participation in personal internal or external training available.
- Participate actively in mortality reviews, clinical audits, continued medical education programmes, lead and nutrition medical activities, antibiotic stewardship and infection control activities and other medical related activities of the project.
- Know and ensure all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensure professional confidentiality is respected.
- To keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, ensuring caretakers have understood and consent to the plan.
- Follow up the evolution of all ITFC and IPD patients, through daily visits, consultations, examinations, and rehydration reviews, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols. Decide – in collaboration with other doctors – whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments and inform their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care of the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with accepted hygiene standards.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for the role of Medical Doctor – Pool applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Medical Doctor Diploma
- Desirable: Diploma in Tropical Medicine
- Essential: 2 years’ experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (Can be within medical training).
- Desirable: experience in Tropical Medicine, Pediatrics, A&E, Infectious Diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, General Medicine.
- Fluent in English (verbal/ written) and Hausa (verbal)
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service, Confidentiality,
- Ability to follow procedural pattern, Ability to multitask, Ability to promote the values of MSF, Empathy.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Only complete applications will be considered and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for the written exam and interview.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer
Application Deadline 25th March, 2021.