Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organization is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims.
Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, victims of natural or man-made disasters, and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed, or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Director
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevent. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits, consultations, and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments - in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Ensure bedside training of the paramedical team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- To work in collaboration with the nurses to ensure medical care of quality
- To work as a team member, taking into consideration the non-medical problems the patients have to face (food and care problems, etc.)
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care of the quality, disinfection, and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity, and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patient's illness, medical error, and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment, or material.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
On Admission: ER/ICU:
- To examine all new cases admitted in the ITFC
- To carry out a basic medical examination.
- To recognize, call and/or immediately inform the ex-pat doctor about the children in a serious condition requiring emergency interventions.
- To prescribe routine and basic treatment according to the protocols used in respecting the drug dosage based on the weight of the patients.
- To completely and properly fill the individual card with the medical data.
- To give clear instructions to the nurses on the medical care and specific monitoring of the patient.
- To do a quick late-afternoon round to be sure that the patients are OK for the night, the directives are done.
- To refer to other NGO/Partners non-malnourished children with complicated cases requiring further management.
- To check the patients’ hydration status and to prescribe re-hydration treatment if necessary.
Monitoring of the Patients:
In Phase 1 :
- To daily follow the patients in phase 1
- To decide, in collaboration with the nurse, on the transfer of the patient(s) to phase 2
- To ensure all patients above six months, have been vaccinated when transferring to phase 2
- To do a quick late-afternoon round to be sure that the patients are OK for the night, the rounds directives are well followed.
- To estimate the medical evolution (improvement, deterioration, etc.)
- To change the medical treatment according to the protocol
- To hold properly the patient folder
In Phase 2:
- To daily follow the patients with medical problems.
- To refer to ex-pat doctors the patients who are not gaining weight or who have complicated medical problems.
- To decide, in collaboration with the nurse, on the discharge of the patients.
- To control 3 times a week the medical status of all the patients.
- To prescribe basic medical treatment.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Medical Doctor diploma MBBS Certificate, Desirable certificate in Tropical Medicine and Emergency Response Training (ERT)
- 2-year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work. Previous experience in nutrition/ HIV/TB program, General Pediatric ward would be an asset.
- Fluency in English. Hausa / Kanuri / Fulani language desirable
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application including cover letter, resume, and copy of relevant degrees, certificates and NYSC certificate/exemption Letters Soft Copy to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Submit Hard Copy at:
MSF Belgium Fori PHC CV box.
Note: MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 11th June, 2021.