EHA Clinics, a subsidiary of eHealth Africa, is a chain of clinics spread across Nigeria that provides innovative and technology-driven healthcare to the population. EHA Clinics currently operates three Clinics located in Abuja and Kano and is working to expand to other parts of Nigeria. EHA Clinics uses state of the art equipment to bridge the gap in the provision of high-quality diagnostics and healthcare through routine services (general consultations, laboratory investigations, pharmaceuticals, annual medical checks, child wellness checks, ultrasonography...etc) and specialized services (telemedicine, medical evacuation, home care, dental care, ophthalmology, and radiology).
Within every clinic location, EHA Clinics simultaneously implements a Community Health Program which utilizes an innovative financing mechanism to promote universal health coverage and access for the low-income, uninsured and underserved population through a low-cost, pro-poor prepayment scheme. These programs form the basis of care EHA Clinics provide, catering to different cadres of the population based on economic profiles.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Scientist
Locations: Kano & Abuja
Division: EHA Clinics
Reports to: Laboratory Team lead
Summary of Job
- The Laboratory Scientist will be expected to provide first-class services by applying skills and scientific knowledge to support accurate medical diagnoses and the wellbeing of our patients.
- In this role, you will perform a variety of laboratory tests and procedures to assist in diagnosing and monitoring disease.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Interact with patients and family members in a professional, compassionate and respectful manner to facilitate healthcare delivery as a team member.
- S/he collects and analyzes body fluids, tissue, and other substances to determine normal or abnormal findings.
- You will operate sophisticated equipment and instruments to perform diagnostic tests and assays following standard operating procedures.
- Maintains quality results by running standards and controls, verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance and advanced troubleshooting; calibrating equipment utilizing approved testing procedures; monitoring quality control measures and protocols.
- Identifies and communicates abnormal results by alerting supervisory personnel, the patient, physician, or nurse.
- Perform molecular diagnostics such as PCR using open and closed systems.
- Perform hematology, chemistry, immunology and microbiology tests as required.
- Perform infectious disease testing including COVID-19.
- Organizes work by matching computer orders with specimen labeling; sorting specimens; checking labels; logging specimens; arranging reports for delivery; keeping work surfaces clean and orderly.
- Using a Lab Information Management System for specimen tracking, entering results, and reporting.
- Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Maintains patient’s confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential.
- Maintain professional license by complying with regulatory requirements including continuing professional development activities.
- Enhances laboratory services and laboratory reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Participate in assigned research projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
Customer Service Requirements:
- Must have excellent customer service skills and communication skills
- Must be able to plan and perform daily activities in an organized manner.
- Must be kind, compassionate, dedicated, and patient.
- Must have the ability to handle different kinds of emotions as well as manage on-the-job stress.
- Must be focused, very detailed, and be creative in making decisions.
- Must be physically and mentally stable to handle extended shifts as well as mental pressure and traumatic events.
- Must be able to review, analyze, and respond to different situations they encounter daily.
- Must be able to think critically in adapting to change, judging situations, and taking appropriate decisions.
- EHA Clinics requires all staff to keep their knowledge and skills up to date
- S/he is expected to continue to learn throughout their career at EHA Clinics through continuing professional development (CPD).
- The professional body relating to specialist areas will have information on the type of CPD to be carried out and how much should be completed each year.
Key Areas of Note
- Ensure continuing education, training, and development is undertaken to meet clinical governance guidelines for Continuing Professional Development and a Personal Development Plan.
- Keep up to date with relevant medical research, technology, and evidence-based medical practice by attending continuing education courses and professional meetings, reading journals, etc.
- Perform a variety of research and analysis tasks associated with the improvement of clinical care, medical diagnosis, and treatment where appropriate.
- Audit of clinical practice and review of relevant literature.
- Provide literature reviews and the like; review, analyze and determine the significance of a variety of diagnostic test results.
Qualifications & Training
- A minimum of Bachelor of Science Degree in Laboratory Science from an accredited university.
- Additional training and experience in molecular diagnostic techniques such as PCR
- Candidate must possess a Certification from the Associate of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (AMLSCN)
- Candidates must possess a current practicing license.
- Relevant Certification will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years working experience in a Medical Laboratory, Clinic or hospital.
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Computer literacy
- Excellent Communication
- Working Under Pressure
- Humane, Empathetic and Supportive Bedside Manner
- Leadership and Teamwork
- Problem solving and Initiative
- Time Management and Organization
- Attention to Detail.
- Competitive salary scale based on improvements from the CONMESS and CONHESS salary structures as well as surveys from top private hospitals in Nigeria. The salary is negotiable but performance-based. Base salary constitutes 70%, while 30% is a bonus based on predefined individual performance indicators and monthly organizational performance.
The following benefits are available with this offer of employment:
- Health Insurance: EHA Clinics will cover medical expenses for yourself, your spouse, and up to two dependents. Further details are contained in the Nigeria Addendum to the EHA Clinics Employee Handbook.
- Group Life Assurance: EHA Clinics provides life insurance for you as our employee. This insurance is payable in the event of your death. The effective date of coverage will be upon the successful completion of your probationary period.
- Group & Personal Accident: EHA Clinics provides Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (ADD) for you as our employee. AD&D covers death by accidental means (rather than natural causes) and dismemberment. The effective date of coverage is your hire date.
- Pension: EHA Clinics supports employee retirement preparation and investment by paying a 10% pension contribution on top of the statutory pension contribution of 8% that is already factored into your salary.
- Annual Leave: You are entitled to 21 days paid annual leave accrued at 1.75 days/month. Employees may begin scheduling leave with their direct supervisor upon the successful completion of their probationary period.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online