Laboratory Assistant - GS4 at World Health Organization (WHO)
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant - GS4
Reference No: 2107022
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organisation: AF_NGA Nigeria
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 6 months
Under the overall guidance of the WHO country office representative and over all supervision of SHI Cluster Lead and guidance of the Zonal Coordinator, the incumbent will carry out the following specific task:
- Decontamination of potentially infected materials as described in the laboratory Bio-safety Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Washing and sterilizing of glass and plastic ware for subsequent use in the laboratory diagnostic processes.
- Ensure appropriate disposal of laboratory waste as described in the lab Biosafety SOPs.
- Ensuring that standard guidelines and operating procedures are strictly adhered to when performing all laboratory procedures.
- Working with the Technologist in charge, prepare laboratory media and tissue culture reagents as described in the SOPs:
- Participate in Specimen receipt and processing for virus inoculation.
Ensure optimal functioning of autoclaves and distillers by:
- Recording use in the Autoclave and Distiller Utilization forms respectively.
- Removing debris from autoclaves and conducting equipment performance checks once a week.
- Reporting any malfunction to the supervisor
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Essential: Completion of Secondary School Education, and/or training in Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Desirable: University Degree or its equivalent in Medical Laboratory Sciences or related discipline.
- Essential: At least 4 years’ work experience commensurate with the duties of the posts and its grade.
- Desirable: Experience in WHO, UN or other international organizations.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of French will be an added advantage
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
- Basic knowledge of ICT and knowledge of data management.
- Ability to acquire sound knowledge of WHO rules, regulations and procedures. Demonstrated abilities for team-work.
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with people at various levels and of different background.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings
Application Deadline 22nd December, 2021 (11:59 PM)