Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender Based Violence Advisor
Context of the mission
- M?decins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors? treatment, mental health and psychological support.
- In 2019, MDM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developed internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacement of population as well as cholera outbreak).
- He/she will be responsible of ensuring GBV activities are integrated within the medical services package delivered to IDPs and host population in MdM’s clinics or supported Ministry of Health PHCC. He/she will follow-up the smooth implementation of MdM strategy for the response to GBV in Nigeria in close collaboration with the Program Coordinator, Health Coordinators and the MHPSS Technical Advisor.
- She / he will receive the support of HQ Medical and GBV referents.
Support the provision of services to GBV survivors in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MOH PHCC)
- Based on the Borno state context and in line with MdM overall strategy for the response to GBV, implement and suggest adjustments to MdM strategy on GBV, in close collaboration with the GBV Desk Officer, the Health Coordinator, and MHPSS technical advisor.
- Promote actively the GBV component within MdM program team to ensure that they perfectly adhere to MdM strategy on GBV in the interest of the survivors.
- Actively participate to coordination efforts with GBV actors (ex: GBV sub-cluster).
- Coordinate with MdM’s national partner the implementation of the sensitization & awareness raising component in Maiduguri and make sure the MoU is properly executed and renewed.
- In Damboa (where MdM does not have a partner), with the support of MdM Community Outreach Supervisor, ensure that sensitization & awareness activities are properly carried out.
- Support and follow-up the community mobilization activities in close collaboration with MdM team, MdM local partner, GBV actors as well as other stakeholders (ex: community leaders ?)
- Advise the clinic team (medical, counsellors, social workers) on ensuring the implementation of the planned activities, including emergency medical care, mental health and psychosocial support, and appropriate referral mechanisms following guidelines and strategy, through the Health Coordinator
- Ensure the quality of activities through regular monitoring and technical support of clinic team (medical, counsellors, social workers), data collection and management, and provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Carry out and update a mapping of all actors responding to GBV and develop a strong network to foster information exchange and synergies.
- Lead on coordination with other actors to ensure safe referral for GBV survivors and make sure MdM internal referral pathway respect the guiding principles of the response to GBV.
- In close collaboration with the Community Outreach Supervisor and the IEC Technical Advisors, define the communication strategy and communication mediums (radio, press, posters, leaflets?)
- Contribute to the definition of the global referral strategy, in link with Program department coordinators. Participate in the operational research implemented in cooperation with the Population Council.
Human resource, capacity building / training:
- Supervise the GBV technical advisor deputies for the provision of on job technical support to clinic staff involved in the provision of services to GBV survivors (medical, counsellors, social workers) in Damboa and Maiduguri.
- Identify the capacity building needs of MdM and partner’s team related to GBV and provide trainings.
- Organize and/or facilitate trainings on the response to GBV, in line with MdM training materials available.
- Provide technical support to MdM partner for the smooth implementation of sensitization & awareness raising activities and the definition of key messages.
- Collaborate with the Health Coordinator, MHPSS Technical Advisor (and team), to set up trainings and follow-up of the activities (medical and psychosocial care) towards victims of GBV.
- Work towards the nationalization of the position of GBV Technical Advisor through capacity building and continuous support of the identified staff.
Communication & advocacy:
- Participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote MdM operational model for the response to GBV in humanitarian settings.
- Take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors to advocacy activities.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
Reporting, information management, coordination / representation:
- Make sure the GBV data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that GBV data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored (for both medical and MHPSS aspects)
- Participate to the GBV sub-sectors meetings and actively contribute to coordination and common reporting efforts.
- If needed, participate to meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in GBV.
- Contribute to MdM monthly sitrep.
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- Share to Quality Assurance Coordinator, Health Coordinator and Program Coordinator any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate to internal MdM meetings.
Hierarchical & Functional links:
- The GBV Technical Advisor is directly under the responsibility of the Health Services Quality Coordinator.
- S/he has technical links with the technical advisors (under the Health Services Quality Coordinator), the Health Coordinator and Emergency Response Coordinator and Damboa medical team.
- Demonstrated 2-3 years professional experience in humanitarian settings, including at least 1 year of direct program management of GBV programs in the field.
- Knowledge, skills, and experience in providing/leading services to survivors of gender-based violence using a survivor-centered and multi-sectoral approach.
- Knowledge, skills, and experience in implementing primary prevention of GBV, ideally in coordination with local organizations
- Good knowledge of WHO ethical data sharing guidelines
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent knowledge of international standards and guidelines on GBV in humanitarian settings and ability to implement GBV response in accordance with the guidelines
- Master’s Degree in relevant field (Public Health, Social Work, Development Studies, Humanitarian Affairs, or related Social Sciences disciplines).
Personal skills required:
- Individual and group training skills in GBV and SEA.
- Excellent project design and proposal development skills and developing tools for cross-organizational sharing of best practices.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good sense of diplomacy and understanding of international global political issues.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and foster a team environment.
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication and coordination skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment via email to: [email protected] clearly indicate “Gender Based Violence Advisor” as the subject of your application.
- Applications without the above subject will not be treated.
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MDM work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions
Application Deadline 10th April, 2020.