Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Gender and Protection Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Reporting to: Area Coordinator
Proposed start date: June 2022
We are currently looking to fill the role of Gender and Protection Specialist who will be responsible to ensure the quality mainstreaming of Gender and Protection in AAH projects.
- Provides technical input on gender mainstreaming and/or coordinates technical support on gender-sensitive and inclusive programming in WASH, Nutrition and Health, FSL, and humanitarian protection sectors with relevant sector specialists if required
- Works with field teams to ensure access and participation of women, men, girls, and boys at risk to Action Against Hunger’s response, recovery, and rehabilitation work
- Engages with state and local women’s rights organizations and mobilizes collective voice around gender discrimination in the post-conflict setting;
- Proactively represent Action Against Hunger International and participate in gender and protection working groups
- Designs and implements demand-driven programme approaches and methodologies aiming toward capacity building, working in partnerships, policy analysis, and advocacy
- In collaboration with the monitoring, evaluation, and learning team, leads the design and implementation of transparent and accountable mechanisms for monitoring and evaluating progress for Action Against Hunger programmes
- Provide guidance to the field teams to develop a comprehensive knowledge base on all aspects of gender by contributing to gender analysis and situational studies, and advise on the gender-sensitive data to be gathered and the indicators that will serve as the basis of developing effective gender programme strategies
- Work with Action Against Hunger project manager, sector managers, MEAL manager, RRM team, and support team to advance gender equality and equity issues throughout the project cycle
- Establish and strengthens gender-focused technical partnerships together with HODs
- Develop joint activity plans with technical teams and allies to further gender objectives and gender results of the social protection programme
- Advice on the development of communication and information programmes to raise gender and protecting awareness within the base programme.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Public Health, Social sciences, Gender Studies or any related field
- 2 - 3 years of experience in Design, Development, and Management of Gender Equality in WASH and RRM programme including a minimum of 1 year in a field coordination role
- Proved experience in displacement and durables solutions contexts;
- Well-developed knowledge and understanding of Protection Principles, Gender Mainstreaming, and Women’s Rights, in areas of Early Recovery and Resilience Building
- Demonstrated experience of working in collaboration with local partners and government institutions
- Well-developed analytical and strategic planning skills with the ability to influence the wider programme strategy
- Demonstrated experience of conducting trainings, and providing capacity building to local partners and beneficiaries on gender issues
- Able to work under time pressure and long hours whenever required;
- Resilience, flexibility, and adaptability to work successfully under stressful conditions
- A high level of social-cultural sensitivity when dealing with colleagues, partners, and beneficiaries
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and tact, in order to be able to liaise effectively with a range of stakeholders, including NGO partners, community leaders, and government officials
- Creative problem solving and innovation in complex and /or restrictive working environments
- User-level computer literacy (Office Package, Outlook, etc.).
- NGN508,748 per month (excluding other benefits)
- Other benefits include but not limited to 100% health care coverage, free and direct access to Cross Knowledge e-learning platform.
Application Closing Date
9th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Our employees enjoy a work culture that promotes diversity and inclusion
- Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
- This is an emergency recruitment and we are looking to fill this role as soon as possible. Candidates available to start immediately are highly preferred.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.