The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Team Lead
Webcruiter ID: 4297210574
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Employment Type: Contract
Percentage of Full-time: 100
Start Date: 27 / 10 / 2020
End Date: 31 / 12 / 2020
Reports to: The Area Manager – Area South.
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015 in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Yola Area Office, Field Offices in Borno and Adamawa states and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Livelihoods & Food Security (LFS); Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Management Camp Coordination (CCCM) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- NRC is looking for a Finance Team Lead for our Borno-South and Adamawa State Area office in North-East Nigeria. The purpose of the Finance Team Lead position is to provide support on the financial and grants management processes of the area office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement NRC’s financial systems, routines, and procedures at area level
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, handbooks, guidelines and donor requirements
- Prepare and submit reports and analysis for the area office
- Ensure proper filing of supporting documents
- Management of area office finance team
- Support area office project staff in financial matters
- Maintain budget control and monitor cash flow for the area office
- Ensure that the accounting, monitoring and reporting are according to procedure
Accounting & Finance:
- Assist the Area Manager in preparing cash forecasts and monitoring cash flows and expenditures
- Accurate and timely preparation of the eBRS in accordance with global deadlines and ensure all the reconciling items in the eBRS are monitored and acted upon
- Assign duties, supervise, train and appraise the Finance Officer and Finance Assistant.
- Play essential role in procurement processes and ensure compliance as member of bid committee; Verify POs for completeness.
- Responsible for submission of monthly taxes deducted from staff, suppliers and consultants on time to relevant authorities and obtain periodical tax clearance certificates
- Responsible for the quality posting of costs into Agresso and meeting global deadlines for the Area Office.
- Verifies payments/cheques/cash payments in order to ensure that complete supporting documentation is available
- Contribute in the design, development and implementation of the financial management policies, procedures and practices
- Support the Finance Manager in audit preparations and close-out.
- Responsible for Area Office payments and signatory changes of all area office bank accounts.
- Ensure that all payments are processed on time and have good overview of the locations of the signatories at any given time
Budgets & Reporting:
- Assist the Area Manager in maintaining overall budget control; Provide up-to-date analysis and regular reports of the Area financial status and share detailed Budget vs. Actual reports for the entire area office with the Area Manager upon request and at least once a month. Ensure documented BvA meetings with action plans and follow-ups as delegated by the Finance Manager
- Prepare and submit periodic financial reports as appropriate for review and consolidation by the Finance Manager
- Work with the Area Manager and ensure accurate, reliable master support budget is in place and updated
Work with budget holders and various support staff to prepare quality budget proposals.
Review monthly project re-bookings and ensure that they are minimized.
Professional / Context / Specific skills, knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of University Degree in a related field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in similar position preferably with an NGO
- Good knowledge of accounting packages; preferably Agresso
- Good skills in Excel and Word
- Documented knowledge/experience to initiate/develop policies/revision of finance SOPs
- Member of relevant professional accounting body is an added advantage
- Experience from working in a Finance senior position/managing finance team preferably in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Good knowledge of the North – Eastern Nigeria context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Documented/demonstrated Leadership skills/experience
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Strength in analyzing and interpreting information to support planning and monitoring
We Can Offer
- Commencement: 26th October, 2020
- Duration: 3 months (renewable)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions – Grade Level: Grade 7
- Duty station: Yola – covering Area South
- Travel: Frequent travels outside Yola is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
Application Closing Date
10th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Nigerian Nationals only.