Finance and Administration Manager at Save the Children Nigeria
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance and Administration Manager
Ref No: 190001OM
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- This position will be responsible for implementing and/or coordinating all financial support functions for the implementation of high quality nutrition project in the State.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Project Director/Manager with Dotted line to Finance Director
- Staff directly reporting to this post: TBC
- Have excellent knowledge of Finance and Accounting. Ensure that roles and responsibilities are clear and have strong understanding of all of Donor’s and Save the Children’s regulations and policies, especially the core policies such as; Finance policies and procedures, Child Safeguarding Policy, Code of Conduct, Fraud & dishonesty policies, Anti-bribery and corruption policy and whistle blowing policy.
- The Finance Manager is the overall head of the finance unit in the state office and will be responsible for all finance related activities.
- Ensure all financial transactions in the state office are appropriately approved, authorised and administered, in line with SC & Donor policies.
- Process all payments (cheque and/or cash) to vendors, service providers, and partners in line with SC policies & Donor requirements
- Process all banking activities in the state office, ensuring that bank account records are accurately maintain, and that bank statements are obtained on a timely basis.
- Responsible for monthly recharges processing (Reversal and reclass) as well as daily matching of transaction on Agresso
- Manage the electronic spreadsheet/format for receiving and disbursing funds; coordinate the preparation and timely submission of monthly financial reports and other reports to the CO Abuja as required. Ensure accurate keeping of account books (electronic and paper) for the state office.
- Ensure adequate safeguarding of all vouchers manually and electronically
- Ensure adequate safeguarding of all financial instruments
- Preparation and submission of monthly Balance Sheet Reconciliations to CO Abuja
Cash and Budget Management:
- Coordinate with the Line manager to ensure timely and appropriate cash flows, matched with the operational needs of the state office and budget forecasts, and in line with SC policies and donor requirements.
- Ensure that the Project Director/Manager receives timely and accurate information to inform activity planning and forecasts.
- In collaboration with the line manager, support monthly budget phasing and annual pipeline analysis as well as BVA commentary for specific award.
- Represent Finance at Procurement Committee meetings
- Validate Purchase Vouchers within the Finance Coordinator’s Limit
- Make statutory payments to the relevant authorities such as PAYE, WHT, and PENSION deduction and ensure adequate documentation is kept in the office.
- Monthly submission of EFFC report to the country Office
- Review partners/sub-awardee financial report and reconcile partners/Sub-awardee Account (5200)
- Support the state teams to provide administrative and technical support to the partners to ensure that all financial documentation and reports are prepared and submitted on a timely basis in line with SC policies, project agreements.
- Conduct state level finance induction for all new staff on finance policies, systems and procedure
- In collaboration with the line manager support the training in financial management in accordance with SC’s financial management policies.
- S/he acts as a business partner to other units(Awards, M&E, Operations, HR etc.) by providing financial advise as may be required from time to time
- Any other tasks as assigned by supervisor
Skills and Behaviours
(our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honesty, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience
- Qualified Chartered Accountant with minimum 10 years of post-qualification experience.
- At least 7 years of experience in a bi-lateral or multi-lateral agency financed project in Nigeria (or an African nation).
- Knowledge and expertise in the field of project preparation, commercial negotiations, financial management, internal controls/systems development, accounting, auditing and reporting
- Ability to problem solve efficaciously exercising good judgement will be an asset.
- Good training and facilitation skills (for financial training/support to partners).
- Ability to multi-task, engage in long-term planning, meet deadlines, and handle last-minute demands; exercise patience, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to be creative and proactive health service improvement is essential.
- Experience of working on performance linked payment contract