Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims.
Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Health Manager
Employment Type: Full-time
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning, coordinating, implementing, and monitoring all Environmental Health (EH) activities in the project, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
- In collaboration with EHTL and the PMR, planning, elaborating, and reviewing the annual budget for the EH activities in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the mission and the targeted population.
- In collaboration with the EHTL, PMR, and the HR Manager, participating in the planning and implementation of HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all EH activities.
- Designing, implementing and managing all EH interventions in the project (including, but not limited to, water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, hygiene, and infection control).
- Conducting routine EH assessments in collaboration with project medical teams to identify EH needs at the project level and making recommendations for response activities to the PMR.
- Ensuring proper collection and monitoring of EH data. Ensuring multidisciplinary data availability. Providing analysis of data and regular reporting of results (as requested by the PMR and EHTL).
- Monitoring on a day-to-day basis the implementation of the EH activities in the project ensuring compliance of MSF standards, protocols and procedures, and reporting to the PMR and EHTL on the development of the ongoing programmes including the following below
- Ensuring the EH contribution to the development and planning of emergency response strategies and resources, in collaboration with the medical and logistical teams.
- Ensuring availability, proper purchasing, and appropriate technical specifications of required materials and equipment through planning, organizing and overseeing the inventory of the EH stock.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Participate in data collection and data entry related to operational research activities in the project
- Ensuring a permanent and adequate water supply in Observations Bays (OBs) and Virology Unit (VU).
- Providing technical guidance to EH technicians in order to ensure proper maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities in OBs and VU.
- Providing support and overseeing mortuary team and technicians for dead bodies management in OBS and VU.
- Providing training to Federal Teaching Hospital (FETHA) and State Health Ministry staff on EH protocols, precisely waste Management, dead bodies management, dressing and undressing when needed.
- Provide technical guidance to put in place the vector control measures in the Project.
- Provide leadership for planning and implementation of Lassa Fever peak season EH-related activities.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- BSc/ B.Eng. or HND in Civil Engineering, Hydraulics, Geology, Sanitation, Health Engineering or Public Health.
- Water and Sanitation in Emergencies Training within or outside MSF is strongly recommended.
- Previous experience in technical aspects of water and sanitation works.
- Minimum of 2-years of hands-on field emergency WHS professional experience in a humanitarian or international development setting.
- Previous experience in haemorrhagic fever context (Lassa Fever, Ebola, Marburg).
- experience in or familiar with implementing and promoting the use of two or more of the following activities (water supply, excreta disposal, waste and wastewater management, vector control, and dead bodies management) in two or more different contexts (disease outbreak, conflicts, natural disasters, refugee/IDP camps, etc.)
- English Language essential.
- Igbo Language desirable
Deadline: 14th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application, including cover letter, resume and copy of relevant certificates and NYSC certificate/Exemption Letters Soft Copy to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Submit Hard Copy at:
MSF Belgium Human Resources Office,
Plot D33 Libration Estate (after the Enugu/Abakaliki Express),
Abakaliki – Ebonyi State.
In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen below:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- NYSC status
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview;
- MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their applications.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and