Data Assistant at International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014 and Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015. IRC has ECHO, OFDA, and Gates funds to respond to health, nutrition, GBV, and WASH activities. In late 2014 and early 2015, IRC received additional funds from SV, SIDA, USAID, and UNICEF to carry out education, child protection, general protection, emergency food distributions, shelter support, and NFI distributions to newly displaced IDPs. In late 2015 into early 2016, IRC received Swiss and UNHCR funds for additional emergency response humanitarian-focused programming in NE Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Data Assistant - USAID / OTL
Requisition ID: req21154
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Monitoring & Evaluation
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Data Collection Tools and Database Design:
- Assist the MEL team to clean, process, analyze, and interpret all MEL-related data across the five Strategic Objective program areas.
- Ensure all received data is accurately entered into OTL PowerBI databases in a timely manner.
- Take part in designing electronic data entry templates for mobile/tablet data collection.
- Partake in designing a strategy to collect filed level information required by OTL/USAID and/or stakeholders.
- Work with the MEL and program team in standardizing the project M&E tools.
- Ensure Programs submit monthly, quarterly, and annual data for inclusion in MEL reports.
- Work with the MEL Officer in designing data collection templates for surveys that needs to be conducted internally.
Data Collection and Analysis:
- Closely work with front line staff and volunteers to make so that OTL data collected on timely fashion.
- Communicate and orient responsible partners or program staff on the use of the tools they are responsible for.
- Apply data cleaning techniques to ensure the quality of data collected from field.
- Train and supervise survey enumerators.
- Take part in the Data Quality Audits, share with program staff and document findings.
- Closely work with staff to ensure they follow correct procedures and criteria during beneficiary registration.
- Tabulate and cross-tabulate the field data for further analysis by M&E Officers and program staff.
- Identify the data quality issues and bring to the attention of the MEL officer with proposed actions.
Capacity Building and Supervision:
- Train enumerator hired for assessments.
- Support in organizing orientation for front line staff, partners’ staff and volunteers on the monitoring tools and train them how to use data for decision making.
Perform other duties assigned by the Supervisor:
- Perform other task related assignment proposed by his/her supervisor/s.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: MEL Officer
- Position directly supervises: Enumerators
- Bachelor's Degree in Education, International Development, or a related field.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in research, MEL, or analytics.
- Familiarity with PowerBI, database management, and data visualizations.
Standards for Professional Conduct
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability