For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Analyst
Reporting: The Secretariat of the National Steering Committee (TS-NSC)
- Nigeria has committed to achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and has put in place the enabling policy1 to achieve this. At the Federal level, there's the recognition of the role of States as drivers and providers of primary health care service delivery. This is consistent with the 'Bringing PHC under One Roof' (PHCUOR) policy that was instituted and ratified by the National Council on Health in 2011. The policy aims to strengthen PHC systems through the creation of State PHC Boards that would allow for integration and/or decentralization of PHC services management.
- Whilst acknowledging the separation of functions and the role of States in the management and organization of performance for PHC service delivery, a National Health Act (NHAct) was enacted into law in 2014. The NHAct specifies that all Nigerians shall be entitled to a Basic Minimum Package of Health Services (BMPHS). With the BMPHS, Nigeria aims to create a minimum "health floor" and provide a defined set of services for all Nigerians in line with its UHC goals.
- To guarantee the BMHPS, the Basic Health Care Provision Fund (BHCPF) was established under Section 11 of the National Health Act, as its principal funding vehicle for the BMPHS.
- The Federal Ministry of Health in conjunction with NPHCDA & NHIS have developed the operations manual for the roll out of the implementation of BHCPF.
- To ensure adequate governance for the program, the secretariat has been set up to provide stewardship of fund use and program execution.
- Consistent with the tenets of the NHAct, the funds will be: (i) used in strengthening service delivery by providing accredited PHCs with operational expenses and; (ii) purchasing the BMPHS for beneficiaries.
- Increase coverage of highly cost-effective maternal and child health services through increased population access to the BMPHS
- Improve the service delivery capacity of primary health care facilities
- Increase productivity of primary health care facilities
- Improve the quality of care of in health facilities under the program
In this role, the candidate will work closely with the relevant agencies at federal and state level:
Provide support on the new body of work that focuses on improving access to quality health care services at primary care centres in States in Nigeria. This would include trainings, data analysis, capacity building, report development, and dissemination. Specifically, these studies will include:
- Facility Assessment analyses of in all participating States
- Analyses of claims utilization reports from States
- Develop and analyse information collected from the program and compare same with program indicators and goals;
- Support in report writing and dissemination of high quality analytical work that will contribute to the local knowledge base related to the implementation of the Huwe Program;
- Facilitate information dissemination and dialogue with key stakeholders
- Participate in project meetings and give input to findings from data reviews
- Support technical review meetings at the field level to review performance and targets achieved as per program objectives
- Represent the organization at the highest levels in specific technical areas and provide leadership in the fields of strategic purchasing, claims processing and payment systems;
- Liaise with technical and programmatic leaders from various federal, parastatal and state level institutions as necessary in order to perform the above tasks;
- Continually identify and implement opportunities for the secretariat to add value and maximize impact through well-designed provider payment mechanisms;
- Assist other units in related elements of their work;
- Perform any other tasks as designated.
Qualification and Experience:
The successful candidate is expected to have the following qualifications, technical competencies and behavioral competencies:
- Minimum of a Master's level qualification from an internationally recognized University in Public Health or Statistics
- Minimum of three years' experience working as a data expert preferably in a Nigerian context.
- Minimum of 2 published papers in journals.
- Experience of results' delivery of programmes
- Proven cultural, social and political sensitivity of working in Nigeria at different levels of government.
This role requires a combination of technical and management skills. Primary competencies include:
- Proficiency in using Microsoft packages:
- Demonstrated ability to conduct quantitative analysis using STATA or R
- Ability to build and foster collaborative relationships with relevant partners to inform programmes and policy
- Make effective decisions using complex data, policy documents and similar information on health financing issues
- Capture: Ability to assess and interpret information to use it to inform non-technical colleagues
- Deliver at pace: Ensure tasks are done to the required standard and deadlines; plan work to meet individual, team and office-wide objectives.
- Lead and communicate: Communicate clearly both orally and in writing, using appropriate language; communicate on a range of issues to diverse internal and external audiences.
- Collaborate and partner: Excellent team player; ability to work effectively with government, development partners, civil society and private sector stakeholders, including traditional and religious leaders; ability to build good relationships for partnership, implementation, and support for the working group's programmes.
- Contextualize: Ability to develop an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how the role fits and supports organizational objectives and wider public needs.
25th March, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online