- Company: World Health Organization (WHO)
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Rivers Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Consulting Jobs in Nigeria
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultancy to Support the Development of Bayelsa State Centre for Disease Control Bill towards Health Security
Job ID: 2206773
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Grade: No grade
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 2 months
- To develop the Bayelsa State Centre for Disease Control Bill to facilitate achievement of Health Security in the State and Nigeria in general.
- The Bayelsa Health Summit 2021 tagged “Better Health for All” held at the Chief Harold Dappa-Biriye Conference Centre, Golden Tulip, Onopa Villa, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State from Monday 19th to Wednesday 21st April 2021.
- The theme of the Summit was titled “Achieving improved health system performance through strategic planning and stakeholder engagement”.
- The Summit brought together over 1,000 participants from within and outside Bayelsa state, to discuss and agree on strategies to improve the performance of the Bayelsa Health System and to enable improved health outcomes for all persons living in Bayelsa today and in the future.
At the end of the Summit, major resolutions were made by the Bayelsa State Government (BYSG) and stakeholders. Key among these resolutions were:
- Ensure wide consultation in the development and adoption of the 10-year health system improvement plan
- Enact a Bayelsa Health Law and ensure health reforms have legislative backing for sustainability.
- Establish a Bayelsa State Centre for Disease Control to develop and implement the state’s health security agenda.
- To deliver on these resolutions, there is a need to recruit technical assistances to support the State.
Rationale / Justification
- COVID-19 like an x-ray has revealed more challenges in the health sector and indeed worsened the vulnerabilities of individuals who fall into poverty due to ill health. This presents a unique opportunity for Bayelsa State to establish the Centre for Disease Control thereby elevating health security high on the agenda of government.
- It is in line with the resolution and memorandum submitted by the Nigerian Governor’s Forum for States to step up ownership and leadership of health security in the country to limit the debilitating impact of health emergencies on the lives of citizens and the economy.
Scope of Work
- This consultant will support the development of the Bayelsa State Centre for Disease Control Establishment Bill including State Health Emergency Management Systems
The Consultant will support:
- Review of existing state and national health laws to identify relevant sections that could be adopted by the state.
- Review of existing state health policies, guidelines, and documents, including outcomes of the health summit, to inform development of the bill.
- Production of evidence which will be contextual to support development of the State CDC bill
- Engagement of stakeholders to collate, analyse and synthesise their inputs for the development of the law.
- Development and revisions of drafts of the Bayelsa State Bayelsa State Centre for Disease Control Establishment Bill including State Health Emergency Management Systems based on recommendations of stakeholders, local context, and best practices.
- Roadmap/Workplan for the assignment
- Report of desk review
- Report of stakeholder analysis/mapping of stakeholders
- Draft Bayelsa State Centre for Disease Control Establishment Bill including State Health Emergency Management Systems
- Draft PowerPoint presentation on the draft Centre for Disease Control Establishment Bill including State Health Emergency Management Systems l
- Weekly status report on the progress
- Final Consultant’s report of the assignment
Qualifications and Experience
- Essential: University Degree in Law, Economics, Social Sciences, Medicine, Health Financing / Economics, Public / Global Health or related fields from an accredited institution.
- Desirable: Master’s degree in Law, Economics, Social Sciences, Medicine, Health Financing/Economics, Public/Global Health or related fields from an accredited institution.
- At least 5 years relevant and proven experience in development health laws at the National and State levels, strategic planning, programme implementation and programme monitoring and evaluation across the components of health system and health security.
- Previous experience in health policy and strategy development, planning, monitoring and evaluating health systems
- Extensive Knowledge of Nigeria’s health system and Bayelsa State in particular
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound methodological and technical advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders and partners
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the Ministry of Health, State and National Assemblies, Ministry of Finance, Budget, and Planning, and with a wide variety of stakeholders in the State, and LGAs
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, integrate, synthesize, and communicate complex concepts and ideas verbally and in writing.
- Previous and proven experience in implementation science and health systems research.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Essential: IT Proficiency
Reporting & Management of Consultancy
- Under the technical guidance of the WHO Nigeria Health Financing Officer, the consultant will work with the Honourable Commissioner of Health and designated Officers and hold regular consultations with the relevant State leaders and stakeholders including the State House of Assembly.
Task (Days) – Output / Deliverable
Breakdown of the number of days for technical assistance
- Desk/literature Review (5) – Draft report of desk review
- Planning and Consultative Meetings (10) – Meeting reports
- Develop draft Bayelsa State CDC Bill (10) – Draft Bayelsa State CDC Bill
- Report Writing with policy briefs, and PowerPoint presentation (5) – Draft report, policy briefs, and PowerPoint presentation
- Total: 30
The selected Consultant will work under the supervision of:
- Responsible Officer: Dr Francis Nwachukwu Ukwuije
- Cluster Coordinator: Dr Kofi Boateng
The Consultant is expected to travel, including for taking up the assignment, according to the itinerary and estimated schedule below:
- From Abuja – Yenegoa
- Number of Travel days: 10
- Location: Bayelsa State Health Insurance Agency
- Purpose: Inception Meeting, technical consultations, validation meetings
Terms of Payment
Implementation Milestone – Payment Milestone:
- Signing of contract – 25%
- Submission of draft report – 75%
Application Closing Date
22nd July 2022; 10:59:00 PM.