Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below :
Job Title: Child Protection Coordinator (National Position)
Ref Id: 190001V9
Location : Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Permanent
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better health care, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard .
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued .
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
- We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organization and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- This role will manage Child Protection aspect of projects in Yobe State within the Save the Children country program.
- The Child Protection Coordinator will with the support of the Program manager will be responsible for Child Protection project activities including supporting the coordination of effective and efficient planning, implementation and monitoring of the project at field level.
- The child protection program is currently focused on Case management, psychosocial support (which includes the provision of psychosocial support to children through community based child protection networks and child friendly spaces), community strengthening and capacity building for the staff and ministry staff.
- In close collaboration with the Program Manager, manage project field activities, ensuring project objectives are being achieved and ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of our field work.
- Working closely with the Program Manager, ensure that the project implementation strategy is clearly understood by the implementing teams, and ensure that project plans and strategies are adhered to during implementation,
- Ensure quality and timely documentation of field activities and support project reporting on progress as per SC and donor required quality standards.
- Provide technical support, capacity building and on the job supervision to build the capacity of the respective Save the Children’s field staff and partner staff to effectively deliver the project including;
- Facilitate CP team to directly identify and register separated and unaccompanied children; work with the field team and Abuja/Federal team to ensure accurate and timely input into the CPIMS for coordination.
- Working with CP field team, conduct community sensitization on CP issues.
- Train key CP team members and resource people within the state and community on CP concerns
- Working closely with Save the Children’s CP team, contribute lessons learnt and best practice experiences from the project inform SC’s strategic planning and the design of future programming strategy and direction, including funding proposals
- Participate in regular meetings with government, local authorities, partners and other stakeholders to draw lessons, share experiences and monitor progress of the project.
- Ensure effective coordination and collaboration with key stakeholders and partners at field level – NGOs, civil society organizations, community groups, UNICEF and others
- Coordinate and liaise with field and national support teams to ensure quality project support in HR, logs, procurement, finance etc
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles:
- Participates in the development of an organisational response based on an understanding of the contexts
Achieving results effectively:
- Accountability – ensure efficient and transparent use of resources in line with Save the Children policies and procedures
- Addresses difficult situations and makes tough decisions confidently and calmly
- Maintains focus on delivery of timely and appropriate results using available resources; identifies and acts on issues and problems in area of responsibility
Maintaining and developing collaborative relationships:
- Establishes clear objectives with teams and individuals, and monitors progress and performance
Operating safely and securely:
- Identifies and communicates risk and threats and minimises these for oneself and the agency
- Takes measures to do no harm and to minimise risks for partners and the communities
- Reduces vulnerability by complying with safety and security protocols set by the organisation
Managing yourself in a pressured and changing environment:
- Keeps oneself emotionally stable when helping others
- Remains effective and retains perspective in the face of difficult or demanding situations
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
- Plans prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
- Takes responsibility for own work and impact of actions
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others:
- Delivers results and always acts with the beneficiaries in mind
- Anticipates current and future needs
- Tailors communication style to certain audiences
- Demonstrates approachability and trust by listening carefully to others and valuing their contribution, and making others feel comfortable by being open and honest about their thoughts and feelings.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Social Work or relevant field experience.
- At least four (4) years post NYSC relevant experience in child protection programming
- Demonstrable commitment to a holistic vision of children’s welfare
- Substantial management experience, preferably in emergencies
- Excellent written and spoken English; local language skills a major advantage
- Demonstrable competence in report writing
- Experience of financial planning and expenditure monitoring as applied to grants management
- Experience of working with communities, and supporting their participation, ownership and empowerment
- Strong representational and communication skills sensitive to the cultural and military/political environment
- The ability to plan and ensure the implementation of projects, and to oversee the management and report on resources effectively.
- Able to work calmly under pressure in a rapidly changing context
- Proven team management skills
- Adaptability and flexibility; ability and willingness to live in the field
- Competent in Outlook, Word and Excel
- Commitment to upholding Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy, and other Global Policies.
Application Closing Date
18th February, 2020 .
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted .
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.