Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Senior Procurement Officer
Reference Number: ABV / OPS / 2020 / 0010
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt
- The Procurement Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
General Position Summary
- The Senior Procurement Officer is responsible for overseeing the procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ logistic operation
- Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics the Procurement Manager is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Coordinate MC procurement activities.
- Ensure that the procurement department supports the programs efficiently and compliantly.
- Understand MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to staff on these policies.
- Assist Program and Operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Prepare status reports on deliveries for P&L and office Management and recipient of supplies. Assist in the maintenance of thorough procurement files as outlined in the MC procurement policy.
- Coordinate with the Warehouse on delivery of items including completion of Goods Received Notes, storage of items and transfer of items to field sites.
- The Procurement Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Assist staff as needed on timely completion of purchase requests and other documentation.
- Oversee the gathering of quotations and bids from the market for PR – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Program & Logistics Managers.
- Ensure that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Regularly produce purchase status and completed purchases reports using the Ongoing PR Master List and PR Master List.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC
- Assist P&L Management with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- Maintain files on market prices for commonly-bought items.
- Establish preferred supplier agreements for commonly used items.
- Enforce proper use of procurement ceilings and approval procedures.
- Ensure that the procurement filing system is in place and in accordance with the Procurement filing procedures as outlined in the Procurement Manual.
- Assist the P&L management and office staff with procurement activities, as required.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Directly supervises the Procurement Officer and Procurement Assistant/intern.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
- Reports Directly To: Operations Manager (or Operations Director in the absence of Ops Manager)
- Works Directly With: Operations Team, Finance Team, Co-ordinates with Mercy Corps program and operations staff regarding procurement planning and activities.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in a relevant Business field is desired.
- 3-4 years of experience in a similar senior position in a large scale supply chain management and / or international business or NGO (preferable).
- Excellent oral and written English skills. High-level computer skills in MS Office suite.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Certification in procurement/supply chain management.
- Training in Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Good spoken and written English
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Application Deadline 6th March, 2020.