CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We work in over 94 countries around the world to provide over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Manager
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Operations Manager will provide overall leadership for efficient and effective operation of the country program in the following areas: General administration, procurements, logistics, office management and contracts / legal issues.
- S/he will ensure the effective coordination and integration of program and operations teams to ensure CARE is able to deliver timely, effective, and high-quality program.
- S/he will plan, manage all operational support, monitor, and report tasks of the country program in the above listed areas and the effective utilization of resources including staff with diverse range of capabilities.
Provide Guidance and Support to all Project Offices and the Country office in Operational Related Issues:
- Provide overall management and coordination of the work of the administration, procurement, logistics, and IT teams in the Country office and all project offices across the development and Humanitarian programmes of CARE Nigeria.
- Ensure appropriate and consistent interpretation and application of operations policy and procedures in CARE Nigeria.
- Ensure that proper administration and logistics systems and procedures are followed in the procurement of goods and services across all CARE offices.
- Ensure effective leadership is provided in strategic planning and policy recommendations in operations, taking initiative in improving and implementing operations management systems.
- Ensure basic office services are effectively provided to enhance staff safety and productivity, compliance with all operational systems and procedures effectively monitored to ensure integrity in all IT and other administrative operations of the office.
- Ensure timely and highest quality procurement services, maintenance and security of all CARE Nigeria’s assets, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Collaborate with all department heads and staff to ensure that purchase of goods and materials are properly planned, timely delivered in the required quality at an effective cost.
- Ensure there is a sound administrative system for procurement, storage, inventory, asset control, maintenance, distribution, and receipt of all CARE materials/goods – in accordance with CARE’s Procedures and Donors requirements for Grants.
- Keep all project offices informed of new developments in administration and logistics-related issues such as compliance to new or revised policies or procedures from the global office and its adaptation to local admin and logistics procedures.
- Annually review all CARE International Nigeria contracts and contractors to ensure that they are in line with CARE’s policies and procedures, protect CARE’s interests and follow country’s legislation.
- Design appropriate standard contracts for common practices in the country, including consultancy contracts, constructions, project agreements and other related legal documents.
- Liaise with CARE’s Lawyer at the request of the CD and provide the Country Office with appropriate and timely advice on legal matters as it relates to operations
Program Support and Leadership:
- Work closely with the program leads to facilitate operations aspects of program planning and preparation for upcoming operations resources needs.
- Demonstrative effective leadership and coordination of all procurement needs in the country programme (both development and Humanitarian Programme) using the consolidated procurement tracker.
- Ensuring strict compliance of programme activities with CARE International national and global policies and procedures and with relevant donor regulations and agreements, SPHERE guidelines and the NGO code of conduct.
- In collaboration with the safety and security manager, ensure optimal safety and security management procedures and practices are in place for the for all CARE Offices for effective program delivery.
- Provide support for expatriate visa and work permits, as needed.
- Support all resource mobilization effort of CARE Nigeria.
Team Supervision and Capacity Building:
- Plan, identify and resource appropriate and effective structure & staffing needs for operations teams in collaboration with the Head of people and culture.
- Organize and supervise operations services in all offices to ensure appropriate filing and archiving, maintaining the office’s calendar of activities and keeping track of major events.
- Coach and mentor operation staff, giving constructive feedbacks and seeking effective ways to support staff performance in a timely manner.
- Prepare commendation and/or disciplinary action to Admin and logistics staff in accordance with Personal Manual with support from people and culture.
- Induct and train Country Office and project office operation staff on basic CARE procedures, best practices, etc. as required.
- Coordinate with the Head of People and Culture, project leads to identify appropriate capacity building courses for the unit in line with budgetary allocation and staff personnel development plan.
Policy Development, Review, and Adherence:
- Ensure that administrative support functions are established and maintained in accordance with CARE International administrative policies and procedures.
- Review administration policies, systems and procedures as required to meet the changing demands of the program.
- Review and development of office specific policies (such as phone policy, IT policy, per diem) and with the administration team communicate new policies to staff.
- Ensure and support the CO to ensure implementation and compliance of the CARE Procurement Policy and Procedures, especially on the CARE Emergency Procurement Procedures.
- Monitor adherence of all operations policies and report any breach of poliy to through the appropriate channel.
- Other Responsibilities as Assigned.
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- A First Degree in Business / Public Administration, Logistics / Supply Chain Management or any related field.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience providing a whole range of operations services in an organization at management level, ideally with at least 3 years in an International NGO.
- Excellent and demonstrable experience in procurement and logistics management.
- Demonstrable experience in office management and staff coordination.
- Excellent writing and speaking in English language.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s policy environment.
- Familiarity with donor-funded procurement rules and regulations
- Other relevant professional/management certifications in administration and logistics.
- Good report writing skills and ability to develop effective work plans, manage time and priorities to meet departmental objectives.
- Proficiency in the use of relevant applications including Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and other relevant applications.
- Proven proactive skills in identifying cost savings, cost avoidance and efficiency opportunities.
- Communicates clearly and effectively in a style that inspires confidence and builds credibility with staff .
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrated expertise in negotiations, conflict resolutions and persuade staff at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to achieve and maintain operational efficiency, identify and mitigate risks related to administration and logistics.
- A good understanding of the humanitarian system, principles and key relief sectors (e.g. strong knowledge of and demonstrated experience with IHL, the Red Cross Code of Conduct, SPHERE, IASC Gender, HAP and understanding and experience of the cluster approach to coordination and response.
- Track record of high resilience under pressure and ability to support and motivate teams in these situations.
- Good political acumen and excellent team building and interpersonal skills
- A Master’s Degree in Business / Public Administration.
Application Closing Date
20th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
- There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested jobseekers. Please note that CARE will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
- CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, colour, national origin, marital status, or veteran status. Qualified Women are strongly encouraged to apply.