- Company: Plan International
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Abuja Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in NigeriaPlan International Jobs in Nigeria
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Finance Manager
The purpose of this position is:
- To provide Overall leadership and management of the finance function, promote financial stewardship, accountability, reliability and accuracy of financial reports, ensure effective resources management, accounting and reporting and utilization and safeguarding of assets.
- To implement financial policies for budget, cash management, grants and other donors accounting, project financial review, accounting and reporting in compliance with Plan International Inc. process and policies.
Dimensions of the Role
- The position manages directly 5 staff in the Country Finance Department.
- The Country Finance team is composed of around 29 staff including field and project accountants
- The Country Finance Manager leads the financial services provided within Plan International Nigeria which has an annual budget of approximately €30 million
- Member of the Country Leadership Team.
Oversight and development of an excellent and high-performing finance team within the country:
- Developing, motivating and retaining current finance staff, and recruiting new staff as it may be necessary,
- Establishing and implementing development and training plans for all finance staff,
- Leading regular meetings of finance team members including those at the Program Implementation and Impact Areas (PIIAs),
- Ensuring performance management of all finance staff occurs in line with the global standard.
Grants financial reporting and record-keeping are thorough, well maintained and accurate:
- Ensuring that all grant budgets are fully costed; include cost recovery of staff costs and support services,
- Accurate maintenance of grants expenditure records including supporting documentation which is approved by the appropriate authority,
- Ensure timely submission of accurate financial reports to donors,
- Maintaining close monitoring of advances to partners, expenditure reporting by partners and complete supporting documentation and ensure at least 20% of all partner liquidation are verified by you,
- Ensure partners strict compliance to new Plan international Nigeria local partnership guidelines.
Plan Nigeria management and teams are supported by effective financial services, financial information and advice:
- Support the Country Director in preparation of funding requests and communicating other business plans to the regional office,
- Report PIIA and country office results against budget, and other key financial measures to the Country Leadership Team including advising on issues highlighted by the financials and recommendations to address these,
- Support payroll, regulatory returns and tax compliance as required,
- Provide efficient payment services to Plan International Nigeria staff,
- Ensure financial due diligence of partners is completed as part of partner assessment processes.
Budgeting and planning are based on excellent and timely financial data:
- Organise and control the annual budget and quarterly reforecasting processes including communicating instructions, meeting deadlines,
- Ensure quarterly review and update of country operational budgets.
Financial reporting and cash management is accurate and compliant with established policies and procedures :
- Manage the general ledger and cash management processes including cash forecasting, balance sheets accounts,
- Ensure best financial processes and practices are maintained, and introduce new ones as appropriate,
- Updating the financial authorisation matrix and obtaining the approval of the Country Director as frequently as may be required,
- Support project audits and leads on Plan International Nigeria audit. Also, ensure that audit actions are implemented and alternative actions taken as required to address weaknesses in financial controls and procedures identified in finance and other forms of audit reports,
- Support the Country Director’s submission of timely and reliable financial information.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- BSc. In Accounting, Finance or any related field. A master’s degree will be an added advantage
- Professional Financial/Accounting qualification (ICAN, CPA or equivalent)
- 5 – 7 years’ experience with at least 3 of those years in a senior management position
- Knowledge of the sector and the financial management issues specific to it is an advantage
- Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards, Control standards and the reporting requirements of major international grant donors.
- Proven effective management skills leading teams across several sites and operating in a multi-cultural and matrix management structure
- Excellent proven financial analytical skills
- Ability to demonstrate and foster in team members a strong commitment to meeting the needs of other employees and managers for financial services
- Good written and spoken English is also an advantage.
- Proficient in Microsoft office packages and with Plan’s general ledger, grants tracking and SAP system
- Striving for high performance across the team and for Plan’s business
- Strategic thinking and innovation – fining efficiencies in the use of resources
- Decision making and risk management – identification and action on financial risk management in line with compliance requirements
- Influence and communication – able to communicate concerns to managers and teams
- Building effective teams and partnerships – with teams and stakeholders
- Developing people – leaving a legacy of a locally able team
- Self-awareness and resilience – operating in a highly volatile and developing context
- SAP knowledge will be highly appreciated.
Application Closing Date