- Company: ACTED Nigeria
- Location: Nigeria
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category:
ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Assistant
About the job
- In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking for Shelter Assistant to support its mission in Maiduguri.
- The shelter Assistant supports the implementation of Shelter/NFI distribution under the direction of Shelter NFI Officer and in collaboration with other actors.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
General Programming & Operations:
- Assist all distribution processes, including distribution of shelter, non-food and food items and other as required.
- Ensure that correct information is collected for each beneficiary and ensure that records of distribution are correctly maintained.
- Mmobilize the IDP communities and affected host populations to ensure their full participation in the project / program activities.
- Assist in identifying key persons in villages (Imam, other key persons such as women with influence) who can mobilise the community and support the implementation of the program.
- Assist in preparing and conducting meetings with community representatives and members in the intervention areas.
- Assist in individually and collectively identifying the strengths and weaknesses of village committees and propose appropriate solutions.
- Facilitate awareness raising activities with other partner organizations and disseminate information about services available for IDPs and affected host communities.
- Disseminate and share information with Persons of Concern (vulnerable persons) on their rights and access to services
- Maintain good relations with local implementing actors, local authorities and other international and local stakeholders in the field
- Assist in maintaining excel database to ensure that statistics and other reports are produced on a timely basis;
- Prepare weekly and monthly plans & reports to Shelter NFI Officer.
- Provide the Shelter NFI Officer with relevant documents and information.
- Communicate, exchange information and co-operate with relevant internal departments
All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability Moreover, we also expect the following:
- High School diploma / National Diploma or Degree in any Social Sciences with technical background on shelter construction.
- High knowledge on distribution and its processes
- 2-3 year Work experience with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and/or displaced population is a very strong asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries, duty bearers and other stakeholders.
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP displacement locations
- Fluency written and spoken fluency in English and Hausa at must; additional fluency in Kanuri preferred
- Ability to work independently
- Contract length: 6 Months
- Level: E1-1 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
Application Closing Date
6th February, 2020.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application Online : Click Here Application process
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager,
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org