We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2019/78
Location: Benin, Edo
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (MM/Awareness Raising)
IOM Classification: G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016).
- In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- To meet these challenges, IOM is implementing several projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improve the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach.
- This project will provide complimentary assistance to returnees and potential migrant, including psychosocial support, economic reintegration and livelihood and awareness raising on the ills of irregular migration and human trafficking.
- Working under the overall supervision of the Awareness Raising Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (MM/Awareness Raising) the successful candidate will support the application of a robust Communication for Development (C4D) and Social Behavioural Change Communication (BCC) approach across awareness raising activities, including the development of tools for C4D campaigns.
- Assist in the timely implementation of awareness raising initiatives to combat irregular migration and promote safe and regular migration in selected communities and ensure that information reaches the targeted audience;
- Provide general assistance to develop and disseminate tools, materials, guidelines, and trainings on promoting safe migration in Nigeria;
- Assist in maintaining close liaison with community groups, local government authorities, CSOs, and other stakeholders to ensure due coordination of activities;
- In coordination with Awareness Raising Officer and Senior Project Assistant (Awareness Raising), devise communication channels in which stories from migrants and returnees can be used to promote behaviour change in the relevant communities;
- Assist in planning and implementation of C4D activities and tools promote safe migration and raise awareness on the risks of irregular migration in target audiences
- Assist senior project staff to devise communication channels through which information on awareness raising can be channelled;
- Support the monitoring of awareness activities where necessary;
- Undertake duty travel when necessary;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- University Degree from an accredited institution in International Relations, Social Science, Law, Humanitarian Affairs, Journalism, or related field with three years professional experience;
- An equivalent combination of related educational and professional experience
- Experience in communication for development;
- Experience of working on humanitarian or development issues related to migration and/or human trafficking, preferably within the United Nations Common System and the International Humanitarian Field
- Previous experience designing social campaigns in international and/or crisis contexts;
- A minimum of four years of work experience (for candidates holding bachelor’s degrees) in the above specified fields, preferably in the West Africa Region.
- Strong organizational and editorial skills;
- Previous experience in training and capacity building interventions preferred;
- Knowledge of/interest in communication for development principles and techniques, media engagement, participatory communication, stakeholder engagement, awareness raising, and behaviour change communication;
- Knowledge of/interest in social and development issues as well as general migration related issues;
- Strong computer literacy with an excellent knowledge of Microsoft Offices, especially Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Internet Explorer, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, and other regional, national, and international institutions;
- Fluent in English, Working knowledge of local language.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Wednesday, 26th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2019.78 Benin. Project Assistant – (MM/Awareness Raising)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.