- Company: African Union (AU)
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Nigeria
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in NigeriaAfrican Union (AU) Jobs in Nigeria
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Policy Officer, Monitoring and Evaluation (GCCA)
Requisition ID: 1182
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: GCCA Plus ECCAS Project Coordinator
Directorate/Department : Sustainable Environment & Blue Economy Directorate/Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy, and Sustainable Environment (DARBE)
Division: Sustainable Environment
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Fixed-term
Purpose of Job
- The African Union Commission (AUC) has secured funding from the European Union for the implementation of the Global Climate Change Alliance Plus programme (GCCA+).
- The overall objective of the programme is to build the institutional capacity and support the coordination functions of the African Union Commission (AUC) and the Economic Community of Central Africa States (ECCAS) for the implementation of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the correspondent Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) in Africa.
- The AUC is responsible for the overall continental coordination of the programme implementation.
- The Officer needs to demonstrate knowledge in fields of climate, environmental science, disaster risk reduction, natural sciences, and related filed. S/he possesses demonstrable and proven experience in M&E
- Under the general supervision of the Head of Sustainable Environment Division and the direct supervision of the AUC Project Coordinator, the Senior Policy Officer – M&E will:
- Ensure routine monitoring of project activities, track progress in the implementation of GCCA+ related activities as well as capturing the best practices and lessons learnt from the programme.
- Establish a monitoring and reporting system and ensuring that programme reports are produced on a regular basis.
- Provide technical support in the preparation and implementation of the programme’s plan
- Liaise with various stakeholders on relevant technical matters
- Prepare and develop monitoring and other technical reports for the programme.
- Manage and supervise employee(s) under his/her supervision with regard to organization and performance evaluation.
- Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the programme’s internal use.
- Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Participate in the preparation of budgets for the programme in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans as and when required.
- Supervise, appraise the activities of staff directly reporting to him/her.
- Develop a Monitoring and Evaluation system for the programme and related projects.
- Render support to the monitoring and reporting component of the ECCAS project.
- Document lessons learned on all components of the project and support dissemination of knowledge from the programme.
- Conduct regular assessment of the programme implementation to measure performance against objectives.
- Document achievements and challenges based on regular programme monitoring.
- Produce regular monitoring reports and support the production of progress and annual reports for the programme.
- Provide support to the external review and evaluation of the GCCA+ programme.
- Conduct training on the use of recommended reporting and monitoring formats and guidelines;
- Review periodic technical reports of programme implemention including for the ECCAS region.
- Carry out any other task assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Environmental Sciences, Sustainable Development or related field with a minimum of seven (7) years of progressively relevant work experience in project planning, monitoring and evaluation, including hands-on experience in designing monitoring and evaluation of development projects, out of which three (3) years should involve supervisory responsibilities
- A Bachelor’s Degree in the above fields of study with a minimum of ten (10) years of progressively relevant work experience as stated above, out of which three (3) years should involve supervisory responsibilities.
- A qualification or experience in Programme/Project management including design and formulation, management, monitoring and evaluation is an added advantage.
- Experience in project planning, monitoring and evaluation, including hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing relationships among partners.
- Experience in climate change projects and negotiations is an added advantage.
- Experience in the ECCAS region (i.e. Member States) and knowledge of its official languages will be an added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) is required. Fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Core Competencies
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Functional Competencies
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and Information Sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous improvement orientation
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
11th July, 2022.