MEAL Specialist at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) - An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Specialist
Vacancy Announcement: 2302787
Organizational Unit: FRNIR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Primary Location: Nigeria-Maiduguri
Duration: 12 months (with possibility of Extension)
- Contribute to FAO Nigeria’s efforts in the technical implementation of a UK PACT funded project: focusing on Providing technical support in the area of Monitoring Evaluation and Accountability and Learning in line with the project interventions and the implementation of technical activities to achieve the project outcomes.
- The incumbent will be responsible for the below tasks;
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assist in the development of programme/project log frames, particularly in the areas of the results monitoring, objective hierarchy, indicators and monitoring mechanisms, tools, and procedures, and assist in the development of the activity work plans,
- Develop the overall framework for Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) of programme in line with the FAO Nigeria programme framework as defined in FAO Nigeria Programme Documents and project log frames;
- In cooperation with other project team members, provide support to project coordinator in preparing project reports especially quarterly and bi-annual reports as well as other project reports as required;
- With implementing partners, FAO Programme team and MEAL Specialist, set out the framework and procedures for the monitoring and evaluation of project activities.
- Design the framework for the physical and process monitoring of project activities.
- Support field staff and implementing partners in developing/review of data collection tools and reports.
- Follow-up monitoring of project activities in Cross River State and assist in data collection and analysis.
- Prepare consolidated progress reports on MEAL activities for project management to submit to MEAL Specialist, in accordance with approved reporting formats and timing.
- Review monitoring reports; analyse them for impact evaluation and to identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation.
- Organize (and provide) refresher training in M&E skills including Accountability to Affected population aspects to FAO implementing partners, local organizations and primary stakeholders.
- Utilize the MEAL information system, updating the projects, activities, and indicators on a routine basis.
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of MEAL and to identify where adaptations might be needed.
- Guide the regular sharing of the outputs of M&E findings with project staff, implementing partners and primary stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as required.
Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Natural Resources Management, Agricultural Economics, Economics or Statistics, Social Sciences, Development Studies, or other related fields.
- At least 5 years of professional experience related to project MEAL, planning and implementation of M&E systems, M&E methods and approaches, data analysis, and knowledge of statistical data.
- Working knowledge of English.
- National of Nigeria.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Proven capacity to create good relationships with a diversity of stakeholders including government institutions, NGOs, private sector, research institutions and local communities, and conduct fieldwork;
- Good command of computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Power point, Internet); and
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of any of the Nigeria main languages (Hausa, Yoruba or Igbo, Pidgin).
- Previous experience working on international donors’ projects highly preferable;
- Systematic and efficient approach to work assignments, good judgment and analytical ability. Ability to manipulate large data sets, and Excellent attention to details.
- Good contextual knowledge of local issues in Cross River State, community priorities, social and cultural constraints and realities.
- Previous knowledge on information analysis and report writing is an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in English.
- Ability to effectively use standard MS Office software, especially experience with Excel, MS Access, database and SPSS.
- Experience in working with mobile phone/tablet enabled data collection platforms.
- Working knowledge of English, fluency in Efik, Bekwarra, and Ejagham- both verbal and written is highly desirable
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 27th September, 2023 (10:59:00 PM)