Livelihood Assistant at Mediatrix Development Foundation (MDF)
Mediatrix Development Foundation (MDF) is an initiative aimed at improving the lives of women and children by reducing the burden of communicable and non-communicable diseases, within these target populations in Cross River State through effective collaboration with Government MDA’s and other relevant stakeholders and partners. Mediatrix Development Foundation's (MDF) head office is strategically located in the heart of Calabar and is currently engaged in partner with the United nations high commissioner for refugees to provide Livelihood and economic inclusion.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Livelihood Assistant
Ogoja, Cross River
Employment Type: Contract
Level of post: Senior Assistant
Type of Contract: Fixed Term Appointment
Duration of post: 6 Months STA (renewable)
- As a team member, the incumbent provides a range of user support services in an effective, efficient and client-oriented manner.
- The incumbent will support in operationalizing the strategic vision to align livelihoods and economic inclusion efforts with the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR), which underscores the need to mobilize additional actors and to adopt a whole-of-society approach to strengthen self-reliance and help ease pressure on host communities. S/he will contribute to the objectives of the unit under the direct supervision of the Program Officer.
- To document good practices, results and to generate knowledge, the Livelihood Assistant will work closely with the supervisor to build on UNHCR databases and support regular information sharing and coordination among different humanitarian, developmental and governmental stakeholders.
- S/he will assist to mobilize refugees, and all PoC of different age, gender and background and to ensure that all stakeholders well understand the potential of economic inclusion of refugees, IDPs and host community members, and to help communicate opportunities to PoC.
- The Livelihood Assistant will collaborate closely with livelihoods partners, government agencies, private sector and financial services providers as well as other relevant stakeholders to enhance the economic inclusion and improve self-reliance of both persons of concern (PoC) and host community members.
- The incumbent will also be expected to deliberately explore opportunities of collaboration with other UNHCR cross cutting areas such as protection, education, cash, partnerships, research and analytics, SGBV, solutions, complementary pathways and more.
Under the supervision ofthe Program Officer, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
Support the planning of the Livelihoods program and follow up on the quality of field implementation, in close collaboration with implementing partners:
- Support the assessment of needs and identification of potential projects by supporting the Program associate in conducting meetings with key stakeholders; plan and carry out gender and conflict sensitive FGDs.
- Field visits: Conduct at least three field visit per project site per week to follow-up on timely implementation as well as project quality; Update weekly the project visits schedule and the monthly work plan in close dialogue with the project officer and team.
Proactively identify and report on relevant events regarding project implementation, participant-related issues and other related issues;
- Share with the project officer important updates, findings and recommendations for follow-up based on project visits
- Share project findings and recommendations with field staff (Volunteers)
- Draft field visit reports for the project officer that document challenges, progress and improvements in implementation.
Participate in recurring meetings with community-level stakeholders and implementing partners on relevant issues;
- Support the programme Officer in meetings with refuges leaders for discussion on progress and updates on projects
- Support the Program Officer associate in attending and actively contributing to coordination meetings with Livelihood partners.
Assist in implementing the plan of action, reviewing achievement and constraints and providing feedback;
- Project reporting review: Follow-up closely on outputs achieved vs. workplans and planned achievement.
Assist the program officer and partners in encouraging women’s skills development and asset creation activities; and in sensitizing public opinion on gender issues and gender focused activities;
- Conduct gender-sensitive focus group discussions and other community-level assessments as part of needs analyses and mapping and when requested as inputs for assessments and studies by UNHCR.
- In case UNHCR is implementing specific livelihoods activities, work closely with and provide technical assistance on livelihoods interventions to help ensure they are market-based, and that the role of UNHCR has been strategically determined in consideration of its comparative advantage vis-à-vis other partners.
- Provide overall support to the supervisor including assistance in the organization of meetings, workshops and working sessions.
- Organize and participate in workshops, training programs, monitoring visits and working groups with regards to livelihood programming.
- Draft routine documents, contribute to assessments, and participate in inter-agency meetings.
- Prepare field reports and other relevant reports relating to livelihoods and make recommendations for interventions that enhance refugee economic inclusion to the Program officer.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Standard Minimum Academic Qualifications
- A University Degree in Business, Social Science, or another relevant field is a plus.
- Four (4) or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work, with at least two (2) years of experience in the Livelihoods sector, SMEs, agricultural or environmental field, or other related fields.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
Desired Experiences For Entry into the Role
- Experience in facilitating the economic inclusion of vulnerable and marginalized groups in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, ideally in varied field contexts.
- Experience in working in partnership with private sector, NGOs, UN organizations, and government authorities in sub-sectors relevant to livelihood programming e.g. microfinance, employment, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education and training, etc.
- Knowledge of refugee and IDPs protection principles and framework.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programs or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Knowledge of the socio - economic and political context.
- Salary: N100,000 - N250,000 / month.
- A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their letter of motivation and Resume as one word or PDF documents to: [email protected] and cc: [email protected] clearly stating the position title, and your Last Name in the subject line.
- No late applications will be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview.
- Mediatrix does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
- Mediatrix strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. Mediatrix seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities.
- Mediatrix is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
Application Deadline 2nd August, 2022.