United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) works to ensure that everybody has the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge, having fled violence, persecution, war or disaster at home. Since 1950, we have faced multiple crises on multiple continents, and provided vital assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced and stateless people, many of whom have nobody left to turn to. We help to save lives and build better futures for millions forced from home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Information Management Assistant
Job ID: 28650
Salary Grade: G5
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
Duties and Qualifications
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
- The Senior Information Management Assistant assists in the production and dissemination of information on the population of concern, including but not limited to Protection and Programme information.
- The position is supervised by a more senior position at the field level and receives functional guidance and support from IM specialists at country/regional and global level. Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, he/she will work independently on routine tasks, while will follow instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues. The position has no supervisory role. The incumbent may play a liaison role with the national and local authorities for gathering and exchange of data.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist in operationalizing country-specific common data standards and promoting them with partners.
- Assist in compiling and aggregating information elements required to produce standardized information products and implement data/information collection plans for baseline and context-specific data.
- Support the operation in the analysis of processed data and information and perform data quality and consistency control.
- Facilitate the analysis of cross-border information between relevant countries.
- May be required to collect GIS data, update maps and undertake field trips to project sites.
- May be required to participate in Needs Assessment processes, specifically in data collection, processing/collation and data exploration.
- -Liaise with partners and represent UNHCR in meetings related to the functions.
- -Decide on appropriate resolution to data management problems and escalate issues to the supervisor if incident cannot be resolved.
- -Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For G5 - 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education:
- Not applicable
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Information Technology, Demography, Statistics, Social Sciences
- Operational Data management Learning Programme
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience:
- Experience with handling confidential data and demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies.
- Successful participation in the Operational Data management Learning Programme.
- Experience in web design and software development is an asset.
- Experience with relevant software such as ArcGIS, Mapinfo, SPSS, EpiInfo6, SQL Server, and/or proGres.
- Experience with HTML, PHP, ASP and/or Java is an asset.
- Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures.
- DM-Data collection methodologies
- IM-Epi Info Software
- IT-Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- IM-Information Management (related technical requirements & Operating Procedures)
- IM-Statistics Analysis
- IT-Microsoft Excel
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation.
- Not specified.
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Knowledge of local Language is highly recommended
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- A written test may be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
Application Closing Date
11:59 pm: 16th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Procedures and Eligibility
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
- Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within the country of their employment.
- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.