We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Information Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- In light of the emerging crisis, the scale of IOM’s response in Nigeria is growing exponentially. It is therefore crucial to recruit a Public Information Officer whose role will be to prepare timely and professional presentation of communications outputs to the media and public on IOM’s work in Nigeria.
- Working under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, in close coordination with the Senior Programme Coordinator, and in collaboration with the Head of the Media and Communications Unit in Geneva, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of public information (PI) strategies.
- Contribute to the Mission’s day-to-day communications plan and websites operation. Draft, update, maintain, and disseminate news and information, web content, and social media updates.
- Contribute towards the coordination of the Mission’s PI activities with IOM Headquarters to optimize outreach.
- Produce content for international audiences in the form of human interest stories from the field, photographs, videos, clips, and migration stories. Coordinate the collection of PI assets including photos and stories from the field to be used in a comprehensive PI strategy for the Mission.
- Contribute to the inclusion of appropriate gender awareness in IOM Nigeria communications.
- Organize and conduct PI training for IOM Nigeria staff and build internal PI capacity.
- Travel to the field to collect photographs, videos, and stories that highlight IOM Nigeria’s presence and emergency response. Participate in key mission events and workshops as needed.
- Assist in preparing and editing news releases, briefing notes, media talking points, and other informational materials.
- Generate timely and engaging social media content including text, photos, and other media for use across a range of integrated online platforms.
- Provide support and assistance in coordinating communications with community (CwC) activities when and if needed.
- Monitor adequate communications with crisis-affected populations and provide inputs on integration of CwC into the work of IOM.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, International Affairs, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the related field, particularly writing and editing, international journalism and public information; preferably in African region; Previous experience writing and reporting in international and crisis contexts;
- Preferably within the United Nations Common System and the International Humanitarian Field;
- Strong organizational and editorial skills;
- Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
- Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
1st April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.