We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychosocial Support Consultant
Location : Maiduguri, Borno
Purpose of the Consultancy
- The Psychosocial Support (PSS) Specialist supports the direct implementation of the “Supporting the Socio-Economic Reintegration of Children Associated with Armed Groups, and other vulnerable children, in North East Nigeria” project through delivery of Trauma Awareness and Resilience Trainings, in addition to facilitating Transformative Dialogues.
- The PSS Specialist will also support Case Management Officers in providing specific PSS related technical advice on more complex child protection cases to improve the well-being and safety of beneficiary children.
In May 2018, Search began implementing the UNICEF-funded project “Supporting the Socio-Economic Reintegration of Children Associated with Armed Forces and Armed Groups including the CJTF in North East Nigeria.” This project aimed to ensure that children verified and separated from armed groups in three local government areas (LGAs) received a comprehensive child protection package including psychosocial support and socio-economic reintegration and that their communities understand the importance of their separation and reintegration. The first phase of the project demonstrated the success of this holistic approach to reintegration, and furthermore, there is an increasing number of children that need to be reached by such programming.
In order to effectively and efficiently address the effects of the insurgency and break the cycle of violence, it is necessary to meet the physical, psychosocial and emotional needs of children in the North East who are growing up in a context of protracted conflict. As UNICEF’s verification process for the children separated from armed groups continues, there is a need to expand the project to engage newly verified children, and other vulnerable children. By increasing the resilience, acceptance, education and skills of children associated with armed groups, this project will facilitate lasting reintegration of these children and amplify positive narratives around their role in communities as productive civilian actors and agents for peace.
- Objective 1: Psychological reintegration- To strengthen the well-being and resilience of children formerly associated with armed groups, and other vulnerable children, in North East Nigeria.
- Objective 2: Social reintegration- To support children formerly associated with armed groups, or other vulnerable children, resume or return to school and become ambassadors for peace.
- Objective 3: Economic reintegration- To empower and support children formerly associated with armed groups, and other vulnerable children, for increased economic reintegration.
- Objective 4: Community strengthening- To create a conducive environment and community support for the social and economic reintegration and separation of children associated with armed groups.
- Trauma Awareness and Resilience Trainings to beneficiary children, in addition to Facilitating of Transformative Dialogues, according to the project work plan.
- The PSS Specialist will deliver Trauma Awareness and Resilience Trainings to beneficiary children, in addition to Transformative Dialogues, according to the project work plan.
- Coordinate with Community Mobilizing Officers and Assistants to ensure relevant target populations are mobilised. Ensure coordination to capture attendance record and ensure information is stored systematically.
- Engage in training on Trauma Awareness and Transformative Dialogue delivered by Trauma Specialist.
- Respond to cases of particular children if more in depth PSS response is required, and ensure coordination with Case Management Officers and Assistants.
- Support technical capacity building of Case Management Officers, Assistants and Community Case Workers through ad hoc consultations and mentoring on psycho-social support. Deliver in depth trainings when required.
- Write training activity reports on all trainings facilitated, ensuring rich content is captured through quotations and photos (with necessary consent/ assent), and ensure these are submitted in a timely manner.
- Represent Search externally where required, for example in MHPSS forums in Borno State.
- Share necessary security updates with Security Manager in areas of intervention to ensure safety of beneficiaries and team members in ongoing risk assessments.
- Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor or Line Managers as may be reasonably requested.
- Functional Line Manager: Deputy Project Manager.
- Direct Line Manager: Child Protection Manager.
- University Degree or equivalent in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 4 years psycho-social support (PSS) experience, with a particular focus on children.
- Solid understanding of psychosocial trauma interventions, methodologies and theory.
- Minimum of 4 years in an advisory/ technical role in the field of PSS.
- Minimum of 4 years of management/ supervisory experience
- Excellent training and facilitation skills.
- Good understanding of Child Protection Minimum Standards and the Inter-Agency Guidelines for Case Management and Child Protection.
- Experience working with Children Associated with Armed Groups
- Knowledge of types of child abuse and their impact (violence, abuse, neglect, exploitation)
- Familiarity with referral pathways in and around Maiduguri
- Experience working in emergency settings
- Experience working in different communities in Borno State
- Strong analytical skills;
- Experience working with refugees, IDPs, host communities, and other vulnerable populations
- Excellent ability to develop positive helping relationships with children and caregivers.
- Strong reporting skills capturing case management information.
- Knowledge of a local language (Hausa, Kanuri, Shuwa Arab) a must.
- Knowledge of risk assessment to ensure changing protection concerns captured.
- Good analytical, problem solving and project planning skills.
- Community oriented and respect for local culture.
- Good IT skills, particularly with MS Office – Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Strong command of both written and spoken English.
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour.
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity.
- Provides good administrative and logistical support to team.
- Actively seeks support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations.
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others.
- Strong self-care skills to lead by example within the team.
- Strong commitment to continuous learning.
- The consultancy will take place between December 2019 to March 2020.
- 5% withholding tax will be deducted at source from the total cost of the consultancy fee for an individual.
- The consultant will submit an invoice each month detailing the number of days worked in that particular month so that payment can be processed on a monthly basis.
- Accountability: Being accountable and passing on accountability for one's own actions and those of colleagues and the organization.
- Attention to detail: The ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently
- Collaboration: The ability to work effectively with others in order to achieve a shared goal – even when the object at stake is of no direct personal interest possibilities.
- Creativity: The ability to come up with original and innovative ideas and solutions, to adopt points of view outside the usual parameters.
- Focus on Quality: Setting high quality standards and striving for continuous improvement and quality assurance.
- Learning Ability: The ability to absorb new information readily and to put it into practice effectively
- Adaptability: The ability to remain fully functional by adapting to changing circumstances (environment, procedures and people).
19th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The Application should consist of an up to date CV and cover letter. Successful candidates will then be contacted in due course to proceed with the recruitment process with a written test and interview
- Candidates may be reviewed and contacted on a rolling basis.
- The system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Only applicants invited for a written test will be contacted.