- Company: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Adamawa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Nigeria
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Manager (National)
Maiduguri, Borno / Mubi, Michika – Adamawa
Contract type: National
Employment Duration: 12 months
Area of Operations: Nigeria
Reporting to: Head of Programme
Supervised by: Regional Protection Coordinator
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding technical unit – the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
- Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
Overall Purpose of the Role
- Under the authority of the Head of Programme and with the close technical supervision of the Regional Protection Coordinator, the Protection Manager contributes to updating and applying the strategic protection and advocacy vision in the country and is responsible to ensure that protection interventions meet relevant quality standards and are adapted to the emergency context.
- The Manager will ensure active participation in relevant interagency fora across the areas of operation of DRC Nigeria.
Protection analysis and strategy development:
- Ensure that protection data is collected, stored and shared according to the principles and procedures contained in the DRC Data Protection Protocol and applicable data protection principles, and identify sensitive data in the Nigerian context.
- Assess protection risks and trends, identify problems/gaps and propose/prioritise timely practical actions to respond to clearly-formulated protection problems.
- Produce protection reports of high analytical quality, with concrete and actionable protection recommendations.
- With the support of the Head of Programme and of the Regional Protection Coordinator, contribute to the elaboration of country-based strategic documents on protection, and revise the protection plans as required by the operational context
- Explore new business and partnerships and work closely with the Head of Programme to develop quality proposals, concept notes and budgets, ensuring that all new budgets accurately reflect program activities and required staffing levels.
- Represent the organization with implementing partners, government, and donor entities.
- Contribute to DRC Nigeria’s fundraising strategy and help build strong relationships with donors and UN agencies to ensure predictable funding for DRC’s protection programming in Nigeria.
- Monitor developments and determine strategic opportunities related to the protection sector
Capacity Building and Quality Assurance:
- Develop staff capacities on the human rights-based approach, protection assessments, protection monitoring, case management (CP, GBV), referral systems and protection mainstreaming through regular training and refreshers, mentoring and coaching;
- Develop the capacities of duty bearers and external stakeholders on protection
- Provide technical support, advice and backstop on protection to Area Managers and protection field staff to ensure quality delivery on ongoing protection projects;
- Ensure that the design and implementation of protection activities address protection needs of internally displaced people, vulnerable populations, and affected populations, and are adapted and relevant to the emergency context of north-eastern Nigeria;
- Establish and reinforce referral systems and pathways for protection cases.
- Apply DRC regional protection methodologies, training and programme tools and adapt them to the Nigerian context.
- Ensure the mainstreaming of protection in DRC’s wider programmes in Nigeria, according to DRC protection mainstreaming framework and in strong collaboration with emergency response teams
- Ensure that quality assurance systems are applied, with particular reference to upholding CHS (Core Humanitarian Standards) and Age Gender and diversity throughout the protection programme
- Ensure that DRC Protection programmes are implemented in accordance with donors’ regulations and with DRC standard procedures (Code of Conduct, DRC Response Framework, DRC Programme Handbook), and are consistent with the country Strategic Programme Document and Protection Strategy.
- Provide effective technical supervision to DRC protection team at country level
- Systematically and closely monitor the delivery and expenditure rates of ongoing protection programmes, promptly identifying and correcting under-delivery issues and deviations from workplans
- Ensure that Protection programmes meet stated objectives and indicators within agreed timeframes
- Conduct regular field visits to identify and address programme quality concerns and gain a solid first-hand understanding of protection risks and trends at the community level
- In collaboration with the MEAL team, analyse and report on relevance, outcomes and impact of DRC protection-related activities to provide lessons learnt and to identify best practices
- Review job descriptions and participate in the recruitment process of protection staff
- Include the participation of beneficiaries and communities, particularly those most vulnerable or at-risk, in all stages of the project cycle where appropriate.
Coordination and Advocacy:
- Build effective coordination and synergies with the Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding teams working on Mine Risk Education and Armed Violence Reduction
- Ensure coordination and harmonisation of DRC protection related activities – externally with other agencies and partners, and internally within the DRC regional programme
- Actively represent the DRC at the Protection Sector Working Group (PSWG), Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV), Child Protection Working Group (CPWG) and other relevant coordination structures and protection actors (including UN agencies, ICRC and MSF), seeking to develop coordinated protection approaches and responses.
- Facilitate reporting and information management (data collection, analysis, storage, sharing) through protection sector and other coordination mechanisms back to DRC management – provide and collect information to inform the whole response
- Master’s Degree (e.g. Political Science, International Development, or Economics).
- In lieu of the above, a bachelor’s degree and several years of experience in the sector.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in project development
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Knowledge of Hausa, Kanuri, Burra and other languages native to Northeast Nigeria is an asset but not a requirement.
Required Skills & Qualities:
Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills is a must
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request
Salary & Benefits
- Salary as per the Management F band in DRC classification
Application Closing Date
17th October, 2021.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here Note
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- However, all applicants shall take into consideration that DRC cannot offer an international work contract to a citizen of the country of assignment (in this specific case: Nigeria)
- Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.