European Development Fund (EDF) – Created in 1957 by the Treaty of Rome and launched in 1959, the European Development Fund (EDF) is the EU's main instrument for providing development aid to African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries and to overseas countries and territories (OCTs).
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer, EDF Rules, Procurement, Contract and Finance
Vacancy code: GOPA/PARCI/MBB/ERPCF/2019103
Job category: Professional
Department/office: ECOWAS, Dept. of External Relation
Contract type: Consultant
Project: EU Support to the ECOWAS Commission through the WAEMU Institutional Capacity Building Programme implemented by GOPA Worldwide Consultants
The ECOWAS Commission adopted in December 2016 the Regulation PC/REX.4/12/16 establishing a Regional European Development Fund (EDF) Cell within the ECOWAS Commission to support the Regional Authorising Officer (RAO). The main objective of the Cell is the facilitation of project programming and preparation, coordination of activities with the different stakeholders, information, communication and training.
The role of the cell is to provide support to the RAO on the following:
- Identification, formulation, programming and coordination of the implementation of EU funded programmes;
- Monitoring and evaluation and audits of the EU funded programmes;
- Coordination among the ECOWAS departments involved in the implementation of the EU funded activities;;
- Dialogue with the EU, West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU), ECOWAS Member States, International Cooperating Partners (ICPs) and all stakeholders involved in the implementation of the EU funded programmes;
- Support the preparation of meetings of the EU funded programmes governance bodies, including the Technical Working Group (TWG/GTT) and the Strategic Orientation Committee (SOC/COS) meetings;
- Follow up and monitoring of the implementation of the decisions of the Strategic Orientation Committee;
- Training to ensure the reinforcement of the capacities in the domains of programming, identification and formulation, implementation and financial & contractual management of EU funded programmes.
- Development of information systems as well as other systems for monitoring and evaluation for the implementation of the programmes at contributing to the efficiency of the cooperation, improvement of the results, easing the information flows among stakeholders.
- Our client seeks to recruit four staff members to be employed in the European Development Fund (EDF) Cell to support to the ECOWAS Commission through the WAEMU Institutional Capacity Building Programme funded by the European Development Fund
- Support the coordinator in the implementation and coordination of the activities and ensuring the timely delivery of high quality outputs. These include drafting of activity and financial reports required.
- Support of on-going 10th & 11th EDF programmes and their closure, planned activities include monitoring of progress, overview of procurement operations, contract/project management, financial management and supervision of implementation.
- Support the financial management of the EU Funded Programmes, while assuring compliance with donor procedures
- Contribute to building capacity in procurement through training and support advice.
Qualification and Skills
- Degree in Project Management, Law, Economics, Business, Development Studies, Engineering or related disciplines
- 3 years' experience in procurement/finance/contract management of donor funded projects.
- Excellent knowledge of EDF rules and procedures and EU funding instruments for EDF -“PRAG”.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work well with diverse people.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English and at least one of the other two official ECOWAS languages (French or Portuguese).
General Professional Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience working in international development sector.
- At least 1 year of experience in working in West Africa Region.
Specific Professional experience:
- At least 3 years of experience as a procurement and finance in an international cooperation programme/project funded by EU.
- Experience in preparing bidding documents for services and supplies.
- Proven good knowledge on EDF procedures and instruments.
- Excellent knowledge of EU implementing modalities (MOPE, PAGoDA, Service Contracts) and EU rules and procedures including PRAG and PRAG for programme estimates.
Conditions of Employment:
- ECOWAS Member State Citizenship is required.
Application Closing Date
Friday, 25th October, 2019. (Time (CET) – 5:00PM)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and include a detail CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.