European Development Fund (EDF) – Created in 1957 by the Treaty of Rome and launched in 1959, the European Development Fund (EDF) is the EU's main instrument for providing development aid to African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries and to overseas countries and territories (OCTs).
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Programme Coordinator
Vacancy code: GOPA/PARCI/MBB/PROCO/2019101
Job category: Professional
Contract type: Consultant
Department/office: ECOWAS, Dept. of External Relations
Project: EU Support to the ECOWAS Commission through the WAEMU Institutional Capacity Building Programme implemented by GOPA Worldwide Consultants
The ECOWAS Commission adopted in December 2016 the Regulation PC/REX.4/12/16 establishing a Regional European Development Fund (EDF) Cell within the ECOWAS Commission to support the Regional Authorising Officer (RAO). The main objective of the Cell is the facilitation of project programming and preparation, coordination of activities with the different stakeholders, information, communication and training.
The role of the cell is to provide support to the RAO on the following:
- Identification, formulation, programming and coordination of the implementation of EU funded programmes;
- Monitoring and evaluation and audits of the EU funded programmes;
- Coordination among the ECOWAS departments involved in the implementation of the EU funded activities;;
- Dialogue with the EU, West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU), ECOWAS Member States, International Cooperating Partners (ICPs) and all stakeholders involved in the implementation of the EU funded programmes;
- Support the preparation of meetings of the EU funded programmes governance bodies, including the Technical Working Group (TWG/GTT) and the Strategic Orientation Committee (SOC/COS) meetings;
- Follow up and monitoring of the implementation of the decisions of the Strategic Orientation Committee;
- Training to ensure the reinforcement of the capacities in the domains of programming, identification and formulation, implementation and financial & contractual management of EU funded programmes.
- Development of information systems as well as other systems for monitoring and evaluation for the implementation of the programmes at contributing to the efficiency of the cooperation, improvement of the results, easing the information flows among stakeholders.
- We seeks to recruit four staff members to be employed in the European Development Fund (EDF) Cell to support to the ECOWAS Commission through the WAEMU Institutional Capacity Building Programme funded by the European Union.
- Ensure efficient monitoring of the EU funded projects, in coordination with the WAEMU Commission and in the context of improved coherence with other partners’ interventions.
- Support of coordination and policy dialogue such as policy dialogue, TWG/GTT and SOC/COS meetings with the EU, and conduct of periodic high-level coordination meetings with EU and implementing partners.
- Participate/follow up in the coordination of activities of the EU funded programmes at the national level with the office of the National Authorising Officer (NAO) of the Member States in close collaboration with the ECOWAS implementing directorates.
- Contribute to capacity building through training and advisory support.
- Lead and coordinate the activities of the Cell ensuring the supervision of the staff of the cell and the timely delivery of high quality outputs.
Qualification and Skills
- Advance degree in Project Management, Law, Economics, Business, Development Studies, Engineering or related disciplines
- 10 years’ experience as Team Leader or Project Manager
- Deep knowledge of EU funding instruments (PRAG).
- Deep knowledge of EDF programmes and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work well with diverse people.
- Proven strong reporting skills.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English and at least one of the other two official ECOWAS languages (French or Portuguese).
General Professional Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience working in international development sector.
- At least 5 years of experience working in West Africa Region.
Specific Professional Experience:
- Experience as team leader/project manager in an international cooperation programme/project funded by an international partner such as EU, USAID, World Bank, AfDB, DANIDA etc. for a period of more than one year.
- Experience in managing internationally funded programmes/projects.
Conditions of Employment:
- ECOWAS Member State Citizenship is required.
Application Closing Date
Friday, 25th October, 2019. (Time (CET) – 5:00PM)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and include a detail CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.