Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy Intern
Ref No: 200003TH
Team/Programme: Advocacy, Campaign, Communication and Media Unit
Contract Length: August – October 2020
Reports to: Advocacy, Campaign and Policy Manager/Survive
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3: The role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in-country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The Advocacy Intern will provide support to implement the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Anchor Grant 3 “Nutrition Advocacy” project activities specifically at National and Kaduna State.
- He/she is responsible for implementing daily task that ensures the project meets all SCI related policies and procedures.
- The Advocacy Intern serves as an administrative and technical support to Advocacy, Campaign and Policy Manager/Survive, and Advocacy Adviser in Kaduna.
- He/she will also support other members of the Advocacy, Campaign, Communication and media Team.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Provide support in the day-to-day implementation of the Bill and Melinda Gates grant activities.
- Support the Advocacy and Campaign, Policy Manager/Survive to co-facilitate trainings and workshops, draft agenda for meetings, prepare presentations, and participate in the development of, and/or the timely completion/review technical reports such as: activity, monthly, quarterly and/or annual reports; strategic plans and work plans; and other ad hoc report.
- Manage event logistics, travel and accommodation for event participants, consultants and staff. Subscription
- Liaise with the administrative department for Programme needs and raise procurement request for the production of IEC materials.
- Support in maintaining good relationship with Government and non-Government partners working on the Project.
- Liaise with the media and communications team to produce contents to be used for evidence gathering and for contribution to the SCI website.
- Manage internal and external correspondence as directed by line manager.
- Under the direction of the Project Manager he/she will represent the project in internal and external events and take notes and provide feedback.
- Perform other duties and tasks as determined by the Line manager.
Competences and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Adhere to SCI Values: Accountability; Ambition; Collaboration; Creativity; Integrity
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor Degree.
- 1-year practical experience working in with Local or international NGO.
- Commitment to SCI’s mission, values and approach.
- Interest in development issues.
- Strong computer skills required, especially the ability to work comfortably in the MS office package
- Ability to work in partnership with government and development partners
- Excellent interpersonal skills end ability to work successfully in team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic integrated project.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project’s zones of influence in the North East.
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Hausa (as there will be occasional travel to the field)
Application Closing Date
19th July, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.